Vigil

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Vigil

Post by Morty »

[Dragon Storm - An Aside]

"They were beaten and driven back in a few fights but they're lurking about and may still cause trouble." Thariza stops at the broken gate to the fortress, staring into the ruins. "I... tried avoid learning too much about them." She takes a deep breath, clearly straining to keep calm. "I think someone bombed this place from air. But that doesn't explain why the entire upper half is gone."

[Training Ground]

Wenomir's approach is blocked by the Doublade. After trying to bypass it he decides forcing his way through will be faster, which springs the trap. As the Pokemon falls, Wenomir is assailed by a wave of unconsciousness. He holds on and powers through with his endurance and willpower, but it still brings him to his knees.

"Son of a- enough of this fiasco! After him!"

While the commander is currently struggling to keep awake, the two members who had approached earlier spring into action. The large woman whistles loudly and charges TARBot with her hammer. As she moves, a large, white owl swoops down from somewhere, trying to get into his face and distract him. The woman will try to catch up with him and smack him with the hammer to knock him over. She is, however, considerably slower than Wenomir - fit and athletic, but without his super-speed.

Meanwhile, the small goblin-like man teleports closer in a flash of purple light, then several illusory copies of him seem to spring into being around the melee. They all begin to spin their staffs in a magic gesture.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[A Fox Can't be Cut]

"Good answer," is Wenomir's first, customarily curt comment. "I appreciate honesty and humility in my students. And thinking about why they draw their weapons. I will give you a chance, Anastasia. I will begin training you and see what we can accomplish together."
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

Utayo turns her head up to regard the empty space where the tower once was. "Perhaps a follow up attack. But I suppose it doesn't matter now." She returns her attention to Thariza. "Do you know where you want to go?"
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

Morty wrote: Aug 15, 2022 8:38 pm [A Fox Can't be Cut]

"Good answer," is Wenomir's first, customarily curt comment. "I appreciate honesty and humility in my students. And thinking about why they draw their weapons. I will give you a chance, Anastasia. I will begin training you and see what we can accomplish together."
[A Fox Can't Be Cut]

It takes a moment for Wenomir's reply to fully process before Anastasia's eyes widen in surprise, and her face brightens with a great big grin. "Ohmigosh, really? I-" She seems to remember herself, and tries to rein in her excitement. "I promise I will not make you regret this." Her tails are definitely still wagging though.

"I, um, don't expect you to start training me today, of course, but - if you two are, do you think you two would mind if I watched you two train today?" The fox looks between Wenomir and Koshal, feeling a tad awkward about the request. "I've never really, uh, seen what this sort of thing looks like, but I don't want to impose or anything." Perhaps a little late to be worried about this, considering she's already likely interrupted their practice.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Morty

Post by Morty »

"Yeah... I was in one of the lower levels." Thariza's voice is distant. Recalling the events of her death is so surreal. "So it should still be relatively intact. Let's go." She'll start picking her way through the ruins and debris towards the central tower.
Lady Serpentine
Fresh Baby Poster

Post by Lady Serpentine »

[New Arrivals]

"It is good to meet you as well," Tirya concedes, a few moments after Jillian speaks. She may have trouble believing that right now, or at least feeling like it, but she's not going to take that out on someone who she knows, logically, is just a kid. She'd like to think that she's not that ind of person, even if she weren't a paladin, with a duty not only to protect people, but also to put the best face she can forward on behalf of Soteira.

Not that she's been doing a very good job of that today. "The best she can" is pulling a lot of work in that phrase, because if the people here were just a bit less understanding not quite so familiar with it, it wouldn't have been anything like good enough.

"The details are unimportant, but I was tricked into signing a contract in a dream, which permitted an incubus to temporarily imprison me. As for my capabilities, I am moderately skilled with a sword and most forms of firearms. I am also a paladin of Soteira, with some minor ability to use divine magic oriented towards the protection of others," the impressively-fanged girl explains.

Her hand strays up to brush the holy symbols around her neck when she mentions being a paladin, though oddly, they come to rest on the broken star rather than the rather more prominently displayed (and intact) shield and severed noose.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Utayo nods. "Of course." She has nothing more to say right now, so she simply follows.
~Images by Soushiyo
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

[New Arrivals]

With her introduction done Jillian goes back to the chair and climbs back onto it. She leans her arms on the deck in front of her and rests her chin as she watches her mom work. Look at these people listening to mommy. It's because she's the boss, right?
~Images by Soushiyo
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

Secret Treaties

Blanche thinks through all this as Magtok speaks, her brow knitted in thought. "Okay, I think I understand what you're thinking here better now. It's... a lot, but I can see the logic behind it. I guess the focus on psychic ability makes sense for a ghost like Prime, considering they're both related to exerting control over the intangible and manifesting will. It also means that whatever he's done to engineer that implant, it could likely be the pinnacle of all his work thus far - and that makes me nervous to simply let it be handed over, especially behind the commanders' backs."

After a beat, Blanche raises a hand to try and put a pause on whatever Magtok has to say about this - probably disappointment or exasperation. "That's not a no. You have a strong idea here, and I think we're very much better off doing something rather than waiting for Prime to rear his head once more. My biggest concern is what happens if Prime figures out the plot, or the rune fails - or hell, even if it does work and Prime gets stuck in this body, he's still going to be an incredibly powerful psychic with an intent to mentally dominate others into his service."

"I think you have the right play here, - but if we want this to work, you want VIGIL in lock-step with us. We need Prime soundly thrashed once he's got the amplifier, and you and I both know you don't have the resources to whip up a strong enough posse to go kick his ass. And what if Prime decides to use it as a tool to further build power instead of simply kickstarting his rampage?

We'll recognize the threat of the clone getting loose, yes, but there will be time where we have to scramble to respond, and you're going to have to deal with VIGIL breathing down your neck instead of working more in tandem with you, if at all."
And of course, the unspoken problem - who does he think is going to face all the retribution for this too?

Blanche affixes Magtok with a focused look, a steel in her eyes. "We speak to Wenomir and Cessie about this first. They know me, they seem to like me, and I will vouch for you. If they refuse to do anything about this, refuse to see the importance of what you're trying to do? Then, we try it your way,"
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

New Arrivals
► SHOW SPOILER
Blanche chuckles lightly. "Trust me miss Tsilndottir, you'll fit right in. Quite a few of us have histories with devils and demons, and so has the organization itself. In additon, other co-commander is an accomplished swordsman, and I specialize in firearms myself. I also know we have at least one martial artist and a fairly physical undead who both do fieldwork, miss Vo." And perhaps telling them that these roles aren't unfamiliar to VIGIL will make the idea of finding one's place within it is less daunting for these women than they first believed.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Beans
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Beans »

[New Arrivals]

Vo listens to Tirya, wincing slightly; it really seems like she's been through the wringer! Then she listens to Blanche, who yet again has some encouraging words. She smiles a little less nervously, nodding. "I'm---I'm ready to learn and do the work, whatever that ends up being in my case."
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[Training Ground]

TANBot pulls the blade free from his chest, with a pained grunt and some more electricity for the sword to soak up, and uses it to block Mia's swing. However, since the cat magic doesn't require any special technique or knowledge and pretty much comes out whenever the weapon is swung, its power sends TANBot reeling back and very nearly knocks him over.

Meanwhile, as the Doublade hits the ground, it is enveloped in red energy from its Pokeball in TANBot's offhand, and returned to said ball.

Then, the owl starts getting up in TANBot's face. He tries to grab at it, but both his hands are full, and so it's enough distraction that he is powerless to stop the subsequent hammering. The strike knocks him on his ass (for lack of better wording), and he is left sitting up and looking up at the woman who just hit him, also looking around and seeing the illusions spinning their staff around him.

"RNGeezus... f-fucking... damnit."
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Morty

Post by Morty »

Thariza leads the way through the ruined building. Dust covers everything thickly. After so much destruction, the place is now still and silent, only some mice or rats scurrying about in the distance, spooked by the sudden appearance of people. There are few signs of the battle left.

Moving as if in a daze, Thariza turns right towards a stairway. It's partially-collapsed, with gouges cut in it by weapons or something else.

"Here. I was trying to get upstairs and regroup with someone. But I was overwhelmed. They threw everything they had at us and took no prisoners."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Utayo simply nods. She settles her feet on the ground and stands in silence for a moment. "Do you know what you want to do?" She prompts before long.
~Images by Soushiyo
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Training Ground]

Mia doesn't want to give him any time to recover and immediatly charges after him. She still tries to disarm him. Since the weapon she wields is special she tries ti pierce the arm of the robot, she assumes he will parry again but this time she knows and uses that. she will drive the blade down to the guard and then turn it around while getting stuck on the guard so the sword also turns and the robot has to let go of it.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Training Ground]

The small magician and his illusions send waves of purple energy swirling through the combatants. When they pass through TARBot, they will cause him pain and hinder him. When they pass through Mia and the hammer-swinging woman, they will strengthen and reinvigorate them. It seems his contribution is far more indirect than others'.

Speaking of hammers, the large ranger is now standing over TARBot, her hammer poised to swing down and her owl circling above.

"Stay down," she growls. "It's over. The commander will decide what to do with you when he wakes up."

Thariza kneels at the base of the stairs.

"I think I just need to... well, think. I came back, but I don't feel like the same person who died here."
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

New Arrivals

"Soteira, I'm afraid I'm not familiar with your goddess. Would you mind telling me more about them, miss Tsilndottir? Since you're dedicated to them I figure knowing more about them would be knowing more about you." Cessie gestures to the paladin. "Since I imagine that would also tell me a bit about what sort of special talents you have, if any."

[A Fox Can't be Cut]

Obriane smiles widely as Ana gets accepted. "As she said, you won't regret this Mr. Wenomir. Ana is extremely dedicated." She declares with the same confidence as her daughter.

[Submerged]

There's no response.

But at least the web above her is sturdy enough to let herself start to pull out of the dark waters.
Just in time to as she can feel something smooth brush past her leg as she starts to pull.

But while the web don't give away they will be difficult to climb onto and their stickiness makes them hard to let go.

Fleeing are you, demon? Since I've devoured many of your kind yet I've yet to see one so in denial. You understand if I let you go you will go on corrupting the world and we can't have that...

Was that her own thought? Seems odd.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Submerged
"I am no demon! Where are my swords?" Ophelia needs to cut herself free, but without her weapons, she can't do that. She could also use them to prove her innocence, since they're plated with silver, but that's a secondary concern.
At minimum she can swing her legs up into the web to get them away from whatever is in the water. Is that what's speaking to her? She peers into the darkness for any sign of movement.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

[Training Ground]

TARBot falls for Mia's attack, and so she successfully forces him to let go of his newly acquired blade. "N-no... No!"

The purple magic doesn't cause him pain since robots don't feel pain, but it still slows him down. This, plus the damage he's incurred and the power he's lost, means that when he tries to scramble to his feet to get the sword back, he quickly finds himself without the strength to do so and falls back down on his face. He turns his head to look up at the ranger, saying nothing.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Training Ground]

Mia will immediatly grab back her sword when he drops it. She then stps back from him just in case he does something strange again

"Be weary." She says. She bites her toung asshe doesn't know how to tell the others that her spell won't last forever. Not that it will run out now, but they need to bind him permanently.
► SHOW SPOILER
[Village]

Mia shrugs.

"Not sure, maybe raw materials like an iron bar. It is hard to tell sinc epeople here didn't seem to know the spirits of machines. It does sound like this is trouble for you and maybe your kind? Might explain to me why?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Training Ground]

The two Vigil members keep a close eye at TARBot in grim silence. Fortunately, it's not long before Wenomir comes to and staggers up to where the attacker fell.

"Of all the places... to try to rob someone... Vigil is a pretty bad one." Seems he's still groggy.

[A Fox Can't be Cut]

Wenomir turns back to Koshal.

"Very well, then. Koshal, let's continue training... but I'll be using a greatsword. You can practice an enemy with a longer weapon and Anastasia can see what wielding it looks like."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Morty wrote: Aug 18, 2022 6:58 pm [Dragon Storm - An Aside]

Thariza kneels at the base of the stairs.

"I think I just need to... well, think. I came back, but I don't feel like the same person who died here."

Utayo is silent for another moment. It's admittedly difficult to address this situation with someone she barely knows. Perhaps it's better to remain silent, but she has one thought to offer. "Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" She prompts Thariza to muse.
~Images by Soushiyo
Morty

Post by Morty »

Thariza is staring at nothing in particular, her eyes unfocused and her voice quiet.

"I don't know yet. But I think I'm starting to understand some things better now. It's... been a long road for me, since ending up here."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

As they are discussing this the sky's darken as a familiar shape descends upon them.

The dragons wings seem to threaten to envelop the entire sky above them as she lands not too far away from the pair and stares down at them.

I thought I told you not to follow me. Ambrosia remarks in her deep draconic voice which seem to somehow projected into their minds rather than spoken.

There's a dangerous undertone to her statement which is further reinforced by her glare. If I had been in the middle of feeding I might have mistaken you for spirits.

Submerged

You want your swords? Look up.

Sure enough. There they are, entangled in the web above her right in the open.
But she would have to climb to get there and its difficult enough as it is to get herself unstuck from the web without tearing it apart which would cause her to fall into the water again.

But do you actually deserve them? That's the question. Having fallen prey to your worst enemy and having become them, I doubt it. You are everything you despised and you can't even tell. Truly there's no end to your corruption.
Last edited by Shadowcaller on Aug 21, 2022 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

[Training Ground]

TARBot lays still on the ground. A noise like a fullspeed computer fan can be heard from him.
"Y-you call-l it rob-b-bery... ...I c-call it 'uph-h-holding the m-mission.'"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Fox Can't be Cut

Koshal sneaks Ana a thumbs-up while Wenomir's back is still to him but remains silent until he's addressed. When Wenomir does address him, he smiles and reaches for a nearby practice longsword similar to his real messer.
"Sure, Master Wenomir. But you do realize that pretty soon a longsword for me will be bigger than the biggest greatsword you can use, right?"
A couple more years and the only way for Wenomir to get reach on Koshal with his main weapon will be to get a polearm. Comes with naturally being seven feet tall by adulthood.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[A Fox Can't Be Cut]
► SHOW SPOILER
The foxgirl smiles as Koshal and Wenomir seem to approve, but keeps quiet as two begin to train. Ana finds a seat for herself nearby and watches the pair with interest, a little surprised that Wenomir is already trying to accommodate for her interests.
~Welcome to Night Vale
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Submerged
"I'll kill you! I'll kill you all! All demons must die!" Ophelia struggles against the web in an attempt to reach her weapons, but only succeeds in tearing her arms free, leaving her hanging upside down by her feet. Her head splashes into the water and she struggles to raise it, coughing up water each time she manages to pull herself up for a breath.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Morty

Post by Morty »

[A Fox Can't Be Cut]

"I know, Koshal, but let me enjoy it while I still can." Wenomir smiles, looking and sounding more like the father of a fast-growing teenager than a martial instructor. Then he nods to Obriane. "I certainly hope that's the case. I don't accept students lightly, but so far she seems to have what I look for."

Thariza can't deny Ambrosia has a point, but she had a reason for coming here.

"You're right. But I felt I had to come here. To where I died." She motions at the stairs. "Had some soul-searching to do."
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Training Ground]

"Your mission seems to be robbery as you wanna take things from others." Mia explains. "We need to get him into a special cell befor he can warp again."
She tries to stay a bit away from him holding her own sword tight while just keeping a hold at the mewmere. She can't really do a scan right now as long as she has no free hand.