PREP Highschool

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: PREP Highschool

Post by Earl of Purple »

Lunch- Prank Kids Prank

The mechanical girl turns to face the karooming rocket, before collapsing like a puppet with cut strings. She falls into a clumsy heap of limbs, the knife still out, though she starts to put it away as she stands back up. "A pity. I have been learning how to apply violence efficiently to a variety of situations. And I do not have a net. Do you require a harpoon?"
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.

Tags:
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Dragon of Disappointment

"Oh I- I hope I'm not unique. Then I have to figure all of this out by myself. Um. The library is dragon-sized. And there's the campus lake. It might be the last time of year to use it before it gets cold."
Kol takes note of Khannie's expression.
"Well, I don't know much about wizardry. People only pointed out to me like, yesterday that as a dragon I'm probably good at either it or sorcery and I ought to figure it out so I can capitalize on it." Because Kol isn't just a giant scaly monster.
He's a giant MAGIC scaly monster.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Dragon of Disappointment
"Lake!" Mary votes. Going swimming sounds good right now, whether or not she's in dragon form.
Of course her nerdy friends could overrule her. It sounds like they're pretty jazzed about the arcaneum. Which, admittedly, would be cool. Mary's more of a nerd than she lets on sometimes.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

That's an unwelcome thing to see.

You step into the lunch room after you've gotten your tray with some questionable looking pizza and sliced fruit and already there's trouble.

Khannie gets a pretty good view of some dork running off with a (new kid? Doesn't look like they've got a uniform yet) backpack. It takes a small expenditure of her influence to cause the shadows in the lunch room to extend toward the thief like black tendrils glittering with flashes of color as though they were filled with butterfly dust. This is, honestly, one of the simplest applications of Khannie's shadow illusions. Not even TRYING to make the shadows appear to be something other than what they are.

It's important to keep things simple since she's using a MUCH more potent illusion on herself.

They won't aim to grab the kid, just his ill-gotten gains.

"Drop the backpack; it isn't funny," Khannie says, pausing to glower at the thief. Definitely a regular human girl, that one. With a few glittery colorful streaks in her hair. Once again, as if her hair were covered in butterfly scales.

Confronting a bully to help an exchange student?

That's is definitely protagonist behavior.

[Dragon of Disappointment]

"Sure, the lake sounds okay? It's still pretty warm swimming should be fun," Khannie reasons as she begins heading out of the dorms. Thankfully the hecklers aren't around this time. "It feels weird when I get my wings wet. It's the butterfly scales or something. But I can just paddle around on the surface."

Getting butterfly wings wet sucks.

Before she made her Wish uncle Zebes had gotten that giant doofy shower cap for her wings. It had actually worked pretty good.

"I think the water bending club will be down there right about now? Just make sure not to try picking a splash fight with them."

That would be a one sided battle if ever there was one.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

"Come on, Vallarm. Don't be such a spoilsport."

The green-haired girl finally looks up from her study at this point, at first merely curious about to commotion, then briefly panicking when she realizes her backpack has momentarily left her side, and finally letting out a little sigh of relief when she sees Khannie apprehending the thief.

Said thief quickly finding himself on the business end of a look at could almost certainly kill.

"...Forget this. You two are no fun." The prankster grumbles and turns away, just in time for a miniature storm cloud to appear just behind his posterior, carrying with it a payload of a small bolt of lighting. "YEEOOOOW!" The kid hollers, clutching his rear and running down the hall as fast as his legs will carry him.

The green-haired girl stands up from the table and dashes over to the rucksack, hurriedly unzipping it to examine its contents and letting out another little sigh on seeing everything is still there. Thank goodness.

Well, all that's left now is to thank the girl who intervened.

The green-haired girl smiles at Khannie, so broadly her eyes are squeezed shut, and makes her way back to the lunch table, patting the seat next to her invitingly.
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

"Stealing a transfer student's backpack isn't even funny, Dravis, it's just lame,"
Khannie retorts. "Try an actual prank next time and don't be such a butt when you get caught."

Speaking of butts?

ZOT!

Khannie doesn't even feel bad for him.

He tried for an unfunny prank and it fell flat. That's HIS fault and no one else's.

Anyway... Khannie allows the shadows to slink back to where they SHOULD be, leaving them all slightly glittery for the next few minutes since her magic is still lodged in them. Hopefully none of the tables mind having sparkly shadows too much. The freshmen sets her tray down at the new girl's table and takes her own seat, smiling back.

With...

Uh.

A slightly more normal sized smile. Since Khannie has a normal sized mouth.

"You must have just gotten transferred," Khannie observes. "You haven't got a uniform yet. Oh, right, I'm Khannie Vallarm. This is my first year at PREP."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

The green-haired girl nods and bobs her head side to side. New transfer student. Something like that, yeah.

When Khannie introduced herself, the girl flips back to the front of the textbook, holding it open and pointing to an annotation on the inside of the front cover.

THIS BOOK IS THE PROPERTY OF
GAUDIA
IF FOUND, PLEASE RETURN TO
GAUDIA

The girl's name is written in exactly the same way in both places; in blocky letters, meticulously copied from each other.

And at this point, Khannie may be (un)pleasantly surprised to find herself suddenly on the recieving end of a hug, her face pulled into the other girl's chest somewhat forcefully. Unlike most of the humans here, there isn't going to be anything at all in the way of cushioning, apart from the layers of scarf. Worse, there's a bony ridge smack in the center of her chest; Gaudia's trying to avoid driving Khannie's face into it, but if the other girl struggles, she might not succeed.

Regardless, the hug won't last very long. Just enough so to be awkward aftet the fact.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

Okay.

So.

Her name is Gaudia.

That's... kind of an unusual name?

But then again lots of kids at PREP have unusual names. That's normal for protagonists. "Gaudia? Uh, are you unable to talk or something? Or you just don't like talking? That must be really- HECK!"

Yes.

Really heck.

Khannie is taken QUITE off-guard when the other kid just yanks her head straight into her chest. She's too shocked to struggle much and she feels her nose scrape against something- hard? What the heck is-

"Okay yeah enough of that," Khannie begins, pushing at Gaudia's shoulders a bit until she's released. For some reason her mind is drawn to the memory of a musician friend of her father's. The look is definitely there. Which manages to get a somewhat suspicious. "What the heck was that about? And... you aren't a pokemon, are you?"

Normally green hair like that would really stand out but this IS a protagonist school.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

"Oohooroo!" Gaudia protests, her objections only serving to confirm Khannie's theory. Of course, she seems to realize this, both her hands flying to her mouth in a futile attempt to take the exclamation back.

Then, slowly, she extends a hand toward Khannie and places one tiny, stubby finger across her lips, looking at her pleadingly. Even without words, the message should be clear:

Please don't tell anybody.

The Gardevoir unzips the top part of her bag and produces a small metal case, which she pops open to show to Khannie. The top part of the case houses a Trainer ID, belonging to a Ronald Ferris, and the bottom houses eight carefully-shined badges; if Khannie knows her badges, she'll recognize them as being from the Sinnoh region. The trainer card is weathered and water-stained, curling at the edges and missing small chunks; the photo in particular is smudged beyond viewability.

Gaudia taps each of the badges in turn, earning a pleasing chime as she meticulously points out her accomplishments. She's not some wild Pokémon who got in here by accident. She's been trained. She'll behave.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

How did she ever get IN here?

Who's ever heard of a pokemon protagonist? That only happens in, like, dumb cartoons and weird video games that try too hard to have sad endings. Dumbness and mysteries aside, Khannie mimics the shushing gesture and then makes a 'zip my lips' motion. Fine, sure, she won't tell anyway.

Though the faculty have GOT to know, right?

They somehow knew that Khannie was a dragon before she made her Wish and stuck her in the dragon dorms. There's no way they would have missed Gaudia being a pokemon. Especially a pokemon who doesn't even know how to talk. Even Commissar knows a couple words.

When Khannie speaks again she's dropped her voice a few volume levels as she begins eating her lunch, starting with the apple slices. "You know Inside has a Do-Not-Catch list for people-pokemon, right? So long as you can prove you aren't a dumb animal they give you this little chip that makes it so pokeballs don't work on you. You can get it an any of the pokecenters."

She knows about it mostly thanks to the adventures Geneva and her dad went on years ago.

"Listen, your disguise... isn't great. You need something better than just baggy clothing. You're going to need a real uniform, too. Even with how much the faculty let uniform modifications slide they won't like it if a student isn't wearing the uniform at all."

No reason to let a new kid get in trouble, right?

"I'm basically the best shadow-illusionist on campus, not to brag. I could do a really simple disguise for you. Visual and just enough tactile so your clothes don't clip through it. But if something whacks you too hard it would pop like a soap bubble."

Khannie makes a popping with her fingers by way of demonstration.

"You would look human, but the scent and stuff wouldn't match up. So don't go yanking anyone's face into your chest."

The downside Khannie isn't mentioning here?

This is more complex than those shadow vines she made earlier. She would have to drop her own VERY complex disguise to weave it. Thankfully she isn't THAT big of a dragon and considering the fact she stays in the dragon dorms a decent number of students have already figured out that she's got a big scaly butt hidden behind her human facade.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

Gaudia shuffles nervously. Of course she knows there are do-not-catch chips in Inside. They're a bit redundant, since she was fitted with one before she ever came to the Nexus, but she knows they're there. That's really not the only reason she has to be worried.

When the subject turns to her uniform, Gaudia bundles up the scarf around her neck and fervently shakes her head. She's not taking these clothes off, absolutely not, and Khannie can't convince her otherwise.

But at the offer of an illusionary disguise, she stops and stares as Khannie for a minute, the space just over her mouth crinkling as she takes a deep sniff. The Gardevoir's eyes widen as she realizes the implications of what Khannie can do, and following that, seems to give the proposal some serious thought.

Finally, she lifts her textbook and looks at Khannie inquisitively, tapping the cover. What she's trying to convey with this is less-than-clear.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

Wow is this kid ever hard to read.

She seems protective of her clothing. Maybe they belonged to... her? trainer? Is this some sort of tragic dead trainer story where one of his pokemon (or her pokemon?) decided to carry on the adventure? That would fit with the whole 'any time a pokemon is a protagonist it's shockingly dark' theme. Or maybe Gaudia is just really nervous about people knowing she's a pokemon?

Khannie can understand that.

If SHE were a pokemon she probably wouldn't want people to know, given that pokemon are just dumb animals for the most part. Or clever animals as in Commissar's case. But that was probably just because of a god briefly parking in his brain.

Okay, there we go! Now Gaudia is looking a little more receptive.

"Uuh..." Khannie drones aloud. "You want me to... show you how it works on your book?"

That seems like the most likely meaning.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

Gaudia starts to shake her head, but stops and looks at the book again, before giving a little nod. That might not have been what she was asking, but it's not a bad idea. While she's reasonably sure she understands what Khannie's telling her, a demonstration is worth a fee hundred thousand words.

With that, she shuffles the book over in front of Khannie, propping her elbows against the table and watching her expectantly.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

If Gaudia wants to be more easily understood she should really get better at charades.

That or learn telepathy or something.

That's what Geneva does when she's a mew.

"Okay, I'll need to drop my own disguise to cast this thing so, uh, I'm going to scoot back a bit since I'm bigger than I look," Khannie says as she rises from her seat and takes a few steps away before turning completely black as shadows begin flowing away from her. Which, somehow, makes her quickly become bigger until a faewild dragon resolves into view.

Despite the school's aura of bump into people to meet them Khannie is pretty familiar with her own proportions and does a great job of not smacking anyone with her tail. Thankfully she isn't THAT much bigger. Maybe just slightly larger than an adult lioness. Small for a dragon. Or maybe about the right size for a dragon adolescent.

Khannie immediately sits back on her haunches like a huge cat, curling her tail around her feet and folding her wings tight to prevent the shimmery limbs from whacking anyone.

"Okay, book disguise," Khannie says before giving a strangely musical trill. Once again the darkness heeds her call, congealing around the textbook until-!

It's a water melon.

"Hah... sorry. That was the first thing I thought of," says Khannie, who would really prefer a nice fresh water melon over a few sour apple slices.

If Guadia pokes at it she'll find it sure FEELS like a real water melon. Doesn't smell like one, though. Then Khannie makes a picking up and smashing motion with her forelegs. "If you whollop it the illusion will pop."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

Gaudia's eyes widen as Khannie goes from a human being to... she's not sure what. Some kind of Dragon-type she's never seen before. She certainly wasn't lying about being bigger than she looked, or about how much the illusion changed her. That alone helps to establish confidence in Khannie's abilities.

The watermelon certainly isn't hurting.

Gaudia picks up the melon and turns it over in her hands, marveling at the changes. The melon certainly feels melon-y. But... it's still actually a book, right? If she tries to flip it open like one...

She doesn't see how, but she'll attempt it. And if the illusion is preserved, she'll follow this up by trying to take a bite out of it. If that doesn't break the illusion, she'll do as Khannie says and whallop it... though with more than a little hesitation, since she doesn't want to actually damage her textbook. That's going to be pretty important for the rest of the year.

Gaudia looks back at Khannie and strokes the side of her head, which at first seems to be an idle gesture, until she does it more insistently, before pointing down at her wrist and then back up at her head. That's not a yes or a no... she wants time to consider the offer.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Rebonack wrote: Sep 22, 2022 7:25 pm [Dragon of Disappointment]

"Sure, the lake sounds okay? It's still pretty warm swimming should be fun," Khannie reasons as she begins heading out of the dorms. Thankfully the hecklers aren't around this time. "It feels weird when I get my wings wet. It's the butterfly scales or something. But I can just paddle around on the surface."

Getting butterfly wings wet sucks.

Before she made her Wish uncle Zebes had gotten that giant doofy shower cap for her wings. It had actually worked pretty good.

"I think the water bending club will be down there right about now? Just make sure not to try picking a splash fight with them."

That would be a one sided battle if ever there was one.
Dragon of Disappointment

[AHEM! It worked pretty WELL. No niece of MINE is going to attend PROTAGONIST SCHOOL with bad grammar!]

"On the plus side, being like this means if someone tries to prank us by stealing our uniforms while we're swimming it doesn't actually matter." Kol chuckles.
That happened to him once. Someone stole his clothes as a prank so he had to go around barefoot in just his shorts. But now they're dragons so their collars are just for show anyway.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

If Khannie could read thoughts she would be quick to insist very firmly that she absolutely is not a pokemon. It isn't like every non-human creature is a pokemon. Only someone who had very recently arrived in the Nexus would think something like that. Though... if Gaudia was trying to nail down types Dragon/Fairy would probably be a good guess. Khannie is definitely frilly and sparkly enough. Or maybe Dragon/Bug?

Something.

Anyway!

Khannie watches Gaudia experiment with the melon. Trying to open the melon doesn't work as it is a melon. Trying to take a bite OUT of the melon DOES work. There's some very melon-like resistance at first but as soon as her teeth make it through the rind the whole thing just pops like a great big black tar bubble.

Thankfully it isn't messy like one.

Guadia is holding a book again.

Mysterious!

Anyway, experiment over.

"Yeah, I get it, you need a minute,"
Khannie says before turning her attention back to her lunch. She just sort of... hunches over the table. Her body is pretty long and slinky like a lizard or a squirrel or a weasel or something. Her front legs, however, are HIGHLY dexterous. Easily enough so that she can manipulate her lame plastic utensils. Not that she needs them. She's got apple slices and school pizza. She'll just pick that stuff up and eat it.

There are a few whispers and exchanged words and pointing at Khannie, meanwhile. The faewild dragon pays it no heed. People already know. Who cares?
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

Gaudia, too, resumes her meal of an exotic-looking fruit salad (though anyone familiar with the fruit in question will recognize a number of common Sinnoh-native berries), though she seems to pick at it a little more idly than she was before. After a little while, she cracks open her book and resumes reading again, silently, not seeming all that bothered by the looks they were both receiving.

Then, somewhat abruptly, she sits up and excitedly tugs at Khannie's foreleg, pointing at her book enthusiastically, tapping the page repeatedly. Once she has Khannie's attention, she keeps up a steady pattern on the page, quickly jumping from one word to another, then doing it again slowly, and then quickly doing it again, over and over.

"Pages. Surgery. Render. Complete. Language. Pages surgery render complete language. Pages. Surgery-"

Gaudia nudges Khannie and gives her a delighted smile. Ah? Ah? Does she see it?

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dragon of Disappointment
Mary makes an awkward expression, but says nothing.
She doesn't advertise that her "uniform" is actually a magical artifact of great power - it's not just for show and would be very bad if it did get stolen. It looks and feels like a normal uniform, but surely the other two have noticed that unlike mundane clothing, it alters itself when Mary changes shape. "Sounds good, let's go!" She tamps down any worry about uniform thieves. Kol is right, no one would steal a dragon's uniform. And if she's still worried about it when she gets to the lake, she can take humanoid form and turn it into a swimsuit.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Dragon of Disappointment]

"Why would you even tempt fate like that?" Khannie asks, completely baffled by the statement. "You don't say 'well at least this thing won't matter if it happens' because then it's gunna happen. That's just dumb."

It's a pretty standard trope, Kol, you need to be more savvy than that. C'mon, seriously. Don't go there and make things more embarrassing for Mary.

Though honestly it doesn't matter much for Khannie.

Her collar is illusionary and her ACTUAL uniform is inside her and dubiously physical at the moment.

Anyway!

To the laaaake.

The lake is apparently diverted water from the River Syde pooled on the school campus for the purpose of very important ACTIVITIES.

Like the water bending club.

Sure enough, they're out in force today doing martial arts and splashing each other. It looks pretty cool! And also a little goofy. Since it's an artificial lake the beach isn't very well developed. They probably needed to haul in sand for it or something. A sign near the shore indicates that opening planar portals under the surface of the lake is ABSOLUTELY prohibited.

Khannie trots down toward the water, waiting for the others to join her as she wades up to her belly. The water is cool and the sun is warm and it's a pretty great afternoon for a swim.

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

Khannie is poked!

And Guadia gets a, "What?" out of her as she tries to make sense of what the pokemon is up to.

She poking her book.

In the same spot over and over.

Oh, the words? Umm...

"Pages surgery render complete language?" she repeats.

...what?

"You should probably get a smart phone or a note pad or something you can write on," Khannie suggests. "It would make communicating a heck of a lot easier. Uuh... Do you mean if you read enough you'll be able to talk? Or... that some kinda surgery would let you talk?"

She's got no idea.

It's pretty clear that Guadia understand language. She can read and stuff. She just can't SPEAK and that's a real annoying problem for sure.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

Gaudia holds up a finger as though to object, but changes the gesture to rubbing her chin contemplatively instead. It's a strange benefit to miscommunication that Khannie's giving her... surprisingly good ideas, created by Khannie thinking she's already thought of them.

Like that notepad thing. If she just needs written words to communicate, why not write them herself? That should make for a simple solution. Heck, she even has one in her rucksack.

The use of which makes it fairly obvious why she didn't pursue this option sooner. After a moment of scribbling, she holds up the pad, which contains an indecipherable blob of lines. Unsurprisingly, the girl who has never written a thing in her life (except for her own name, apparently) and can barely grip the pencil has atrocious handwriting.

Maybe she really should get vocal cord surgery? It would make it a lot easier to do things if she could actually talk to her classmates.

Oh, wait a moment...

The Gardevoir reaches into the bag and produces a red, PDA-like device; a Pokedex, Khannie might be able to tell. It already has a text-to-speech feature, all she needs to do is repurpose it, and...

Happiny. The Playhouse Pokemon. It-
*chirp*
Lopunny. The Rabbit Pokemon. It is very con-
*chirp*
Happiny.
*chrip*
Lopunny.
*chrip*
Hah-Lo. Hah-Lo, Ca-Ni.

Gaudia waves the device triumphantly, looking to Khannie for approval.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[Lunch - Prank-Kids Pranks]

Micah had his eyes shut when he crouched, so he doesn't notice the mechanical girl's odd method of falling. When they get up, the rocket has passed safely over their heads and is off threateningly circling some kids on the other side of the hall.

"A- uh, a harpoon seems a-a little excessive," Micah comments. "Though, if you had, uh, maybe a K-Kunai with Chain or something, m-maybe we could tie it down?"
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Dragon of Disappointment

"But it doesn't matter! We're all only wearing little collars!" Kol insists! He doesn't know that Mary's wearing a magic outfit he just assumed she was one of those dragons whose shapeshifting fixes the issue. Sekhmet did mention getting her a succubus' magic outfit in front of him but he wasn't paying attention.

That said, once they arrive at the lake Kol slides right in and begins paddling. He's a very good swimmer for someone who's been a dragon for about a week.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dragon of Disappointment
(Although they're not so disappointed anymore)

Mary removes her collar and hides it beneath a decorative hedge not too far from the lake. Hopefully that will be safe enough. Then, with a jump and a single beat of her wings, she dives into the lake with a large splash, and then surfaces a moment later rubbing her snout. "Owww, it's shallower than it looks."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

Khannie IS pretty clever.

And most of what's going on here is Khannie thinking about how SHE would solve problems like this if she were faced with a similar situation and... maybe not intentionally but projecting those solutions onto what Gaudia is trying to communicate. It seems to be working out okay, at least.

Anywho!

Khannie watches the notepad writing curiously and then makes a face when the heap of lines is displayed. "Okay that's... uh. I'm not sure how you even got in here with writing like that. No offense."

Learning to write letters is, like, kindergarten and first grade stuff.

Khannie remembers how hard it had been to write (or do most anything with her hands) before her dad took her to that clinic where they re-shaped her forelegs. They were just these utterly useless paws before. But now she's got these AMAZING fingers that are almost as good as a human's for manipulating fine objects. Picking up paper-clips off flat surfaces is still kind of a pain but if she hooks one of her claws under it she can pull it off. Most importantly she can hold a controller so she can kick Uncle Zebes' butt in Smash Bros.

Then the pokedex comes out.

What is she up-

OH!

"Oh wow, that's really clever. Hi Gaudia!" Khannie says, her funny ears/horns/mothy antenna suddenly perking up. "A little awkward, but clever. You're, uh..."

She drops her voice a little lower.

"You're a sort of psychic type, right? Are you able to learn telepathy moves or something like that?"

[Dragon of Dipping in the Lake?]

Khannie does her best to ignore Kol making it even MORE likely that Mary's stuff gets stolen. Unfortunately that kind of behavior is exactly the sort of thing one should expect from uncannily lucky protagonists. Probability always seems to get warped around them even though they're oblivious to it.

And then oh no not a BONK!

"Yeah it's an artificial lake. I think it gets deeper out in the middle but it's pretty gradual," says Khannie who has absolutely been out here before. She's got her wings unfurled and held folded against each other above her back like a giant sail in exactly the way butterflies typical rest. This will keep them away from the water. Nice dry wings are ideal! Getting them wet feels weird and Khannie REALLY doesn't like it.

It isn't that it HURTS her or anything.

Sometimes some of the little scales get washed off. That's fine, she grows them back really quick. She even uses them as a component for her shadow magic. But it's like dumping glitter in water. Not great for anyone involved.

Khannie's paddling with her feet and swishing her tail behind her, just scooting around on the surface of the water like a great big garishly colored duck.

"Hey, how are your classes going Kol? Since you're huge now?" Khannie asks. Just making conversation. Not looking at him moving around and watching the muscles shifting under his scales. Nope.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

Gaudia hugs the pokedex to her chest at the compliment, just barely resisting the urge to let out a little squeel of delight. She did it! Khannie thinks she's clever! Yeeeee!

Ah, but the moment passes soon enough. Gaudia can only savor the praise for so long before there are other matters to tend to. Like explaining why it is she can't just project her thoughts into Khannie's head like any self-respecting psychic would.

"No. Misd- Chanse. Di-Dit Nid." She taps her finger to her chin as she tries to puzzle together how to get across the next part. Trying to string together words from the first syllable or so of various Pokémon names, while a step up from charades, is still much harder than it would at first appear; some sounds just aren't there, which limits what words she can splice together this way, and some are only a crude fit, which seems to give her the loose equivalent of an extremely thick accent.

Maybe... maybe she should at least try. If she can't telapathize to Khannie, it's not the end of the world, but if she can, her communication-related worries are over.

It's worth a shot.

Gaudia puts her hands to either side of Khannie's head and gently baps their foreheads together, as though the close proximity will help their brains communicate.

Okay... her mind to Khannie's... her thoughts to Khannie's...

The attempt at communication is interrupted by the sound of a thunderclap outside, causing Gaudia to jump out of her seat and land bum-first on the floor. She rubs the back of her head nervously and picks up her pokedex. "Woop. Hon Hon Hon." She taps out, in an attempt to play it off.

Though Khannie will also pick up something else. Not words, exactly, but a visceral reminder in her brain that sudden-onset storms can be dangerous, and people caught out in them can get hurt if they're not careful.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Lunch- Prank-Kids Prank

"I do not know this word, 'kunai'. The harpoon has a cable. Deploying." The mechanical girl takes her blazer off and folds it neatly before dropping it to the floor. The shirt underneath is white with short sleeves, and with her arm free her left forearm clicks and retracts as a harpoon extends from inside. The harpoon's steel, and it has a silvery metal cable at the end linking it to a reel that has popped out from her elbow. It's also longer than she is tall, so there's no way it could have physically fit inside her arm. She takes the harpoon from her arm and her left forearm reassembles into a functional limb, though the cable reel remains on the outside of her arm.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

At least she didn't try hugging Khannie's face into her chest again.

Of course, Khannie is quite a bit bigger than she was a few moments ago so that might be a bit harder.

She DOES watch the whole scene play out curiously, though. Guadia seems really emotional. And acts basically like a regular person... mostly? That's the weird thing about pokemon. Some of them are basically just people and others are people but they can't talk. And OTHERS are just regular animals except with magic. Like a blink dog or a displacer beast or whatever. It makes it really hard to get a read on them.

Then Guadia grabs the sides of Khannie's head and donks their foreheads together.

"Oh, uh, I guess you're going to try?" Khannie asks a bit awkwardly. Man pokemon sure are weird. At least Commissar just smells like egg farts.

BUT SUDDENLY THUNDER!

Guadia jumps!

"BEANS!"

Khannie jumps, too!

There's a swirl of glittery dust around her for a moment and she vanishes from sight.

...okay now she feels kind of embarrassed.

Like scales falling from mid-air, Khannie cascades back into view again, her cheeks having turned bright magenta with embarrassment. "Haha, yeah, that was just a little startling. I think I got something from you, though? Uh... about storms being dangerous? That probably wasn't on purpose, though."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

No. It wasn't.

And now Khannie can be sure it wasn't, as Gaudia goes to her pokedex again and taps out a quick "No. Woop.", though her intent to say as much comes through well before she actually "says" it.

Gaudia stops and stares at Khannie for a moment, and the other girl will be able to see the metaphorical gears turning in the psychic pokemon's mind before she throws open her hands again in celebration. It worked! Kinda. There's nothing cohesive coming through, but there's definitely a link... of sorts, between them.

Relatedly, does Khannie know what a new student has to do around here to get some lemon drops? Gaudia's been craving something sour all day. If Khannie can get her one, she swears she'll be the dragon-girl's best friend. Well, she might anyway, because Khannie seems really nice and Gaudia could use a friend, but if there's lemon drops involved she'll be the absolute bestest of friends to her.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Lunch Room - New Girl]

Huh.

Khannie is definitely picking up on somethings. Not exactly words more like ideas and impressions? It is definitely helpful since figuring out Gaudia's intent was the part that was tough due to the limitations on her speech.

Just for fun and to show moral support she also holds her forelegs up in the air and gives them a little wave along with a, "Woop!"

Because why not?

The whole student body here is weird SOMEHOW. Just not all weird in the same way. Khannie has several sorts of weird even if she finally managed to shrug one of them off. Dumb magical girl contract. What's she care if the other students think she's a dorky colorful magical lizard?

"Okay yeah it's working if you're kinda thinking at me I guess? I can sort of tell what you mean. Uh... there's a sore near the campus that sells candy? I kinda steer clear of it because the sorta dragon I am is... Well, sweet tooth is under-selling it."

Khannie doesn't want to eat sweets until she balloons up like a blowfish.

"They've probably got lemon drops. I think they've got key lime pie on the dessert menu today if that counts?"