Vigil

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Vigil

Post by Morty »

[Emerged]

"Shanti has a good point." Saying "Shanti is right" might be too difficult a feat for Wenomir, especially after she said this about Anika. "Many of our people are spurred on by the same drive as you are and we know the risks."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Fox Can't be Cut

Koshal places the practice sword back on the rack and starts taking off his pads.
While using his other hand to pat Faye on the head of course.
"Well, I could give the sword a feel but if it's an heirloom I'll assume it's balanced properly. Which probably means you have to work on your upper body strength." Koshal indulges himself in a quick flex of his biceps. It's not good for a knight to be arrogant, but as a minotaur upper body strength is kind of something they get usually by default.
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Emerged
"I can speak with them while I am recovering," Ophelia compromises. "Perhaps I will meet this sister of yours." A kindred spirit would be very helpful on her mission. "Do you have my swords?" They were left behind when she was brought to Vigil for safekeeping, their current locations are unknown.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

A Fox Can't be Cut

"Oh yeah, totally!" Anastasia nods, briefly studying Koshal's bicep as if it would further elucidate her understanding, before she realizes that might come off as ogling and immediately stops. "I uh, do a lot of soccer and cheer stuff, but- I mean, the first doesn't involve much upper body strength, that's for sure." She giggles awkwardly. "I guess I'll have to get used to like, actually exercising regularly outside of practice. Gotta make up for lost time."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[Prison]

Yeah, that 'butt buddies' comment was addressed to Wenomir. Probably should have made that one clearer.

Sure, it would be obvious that it's the source of his power, but maybe not that it's the source of his powers. As in, TARBot's core is exactly what grants him his dimensional powers.

"Hm. Have you ever heard of Super Sonic? Collects all the emeralds, becomes fast as light and temporarily invincible? I could describe it in more detail, but that would require spoiling a movie or two. Which is fine by me. But I'm getting off topic - my point is, the effect my pursuer is trying to activate is much like that, but there's one key difference: 'temporary' means nothing to someone with time powers."
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
All The Scars Are On The Inside

Blanche shifts uncomfortably under her stepfather's scrutinizing gaze, her shoulders tensing as she suppresses a faint urge of fight-or-flight. The unease quiets when Magtok finally speaks, and she nods in understanding. "I... yeah, pushing people away is something I had difficulty with too. I'm still not over it."

"There's always this worry that I'll crack, that I'll run into one of my triggers in the field, and the intrusive thoughts or flashback will put me out of the game. It's worse now that I'm working with the senior staff, and more people rely on me... well, being there to tell them what to do or get something important done for them. But hey, I've managed it so far." Blanche rubs her arm idly, and she returns a wan smile herself.

There's probably enough for Magtok to understand just how different the sources of their trauma must have been. The event in Blanche's life wasn't quite so emotionally betrayed, so intimately twisted and violating - but the damage was still all too similar. So it probably won't surprise him when she nods and opens the door for him. "Yeah, sure. I can brew a cup or two - won't be the best you've had, though."
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Lady Serpentine
Fresh Baby Poster

Post by Lady Serpentine »

► SHOW SPOILER

[New Arrivals]

The smile Tirya offers Blanche in response to her well-intentioned reassurance is somewhat strained, despite the paladin's best efforts. It's reassuring to hear that she's not alone in her difficulties, of course, but when that understanding is paired to the fact that she is, herself a half-demon... Her feelings on that little tidbit of information are decidely mixed.

"Soteira is an aspect of a Vulpanian goddess, Angela," Tirya answers, relaxing slightly now that she's on more familiar ground. Of course, she has a duty to represent her faith well, but at least she's talking about a topic she knows reasonably well. "You may be more familiar with one of her other aspects, Kynegetis? Regardless, Soteira's particular focus is the defense of those in harm's way, although she is also notable for her association with death, in which capacity she serves largely as a guide."

The pale girl pauses for a moment, before not-quite-rushing to continue, as though she was gong to stop and then realized she had more she needed to say. "Given the note of undead members, I feel I should make explicit that she has no objection to the undead, in principle. However... Unfortunately, their needs often conflict with those of the living. As with any conflict, there is no set doctrinal answer; one must determine the appropriate course of action depending on the exact circumstances."

Another pause, this one more hesitant as Tirya clearly struggles for several moments with whether or not to speak at all. "...before we continue with my own assessment, I would like to address another of the topics that was just raised, as I feel it has bearing on my suitability. Would you prefer to complete Ms. Vo's assessment first so as to avoid delaying it, or should I do so now?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Emerged

Shanti immediately regrets mentioning Anika.
Perhaps it was time to deal with this idiotic demon hunting business before it claimed more lives.
"Yes, I'm sure they will have ideas about how to go about your job more effectively." She assumed the question about the swords was for Wenomir...
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Emerged]

Wenomir looks over at Shanti, seemingly sharing her feelings about getting Anika involved. Ilpholin is already a bad enough influence on her, pulling her into an anti-demon crusade. Come to think of it, putting Ophelia in touch with Ilpholin would also end poorly.

"Geneva didn't bring any swords with her. They might still be where she found you. Or elsewhere."
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Prison]

Mia is not aware of what he means by Super Sonic and just seems confused as he babbels about a film.

"We might need to check on him," he says to Wenomir while the robot babbels about the movie.
"I'm not sure if time travel works that way here. I have heared that the nexus has some odd reactions to it. Still that would be trouble. We don't have a good image of you and I assume this power source of you can't be seperated from you other then through your death?"
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Emerged
"A shame. I would like them back, but failing that, a new weapon would be appreciated. I doubt the forms I know will work now without some adjustments." She once again looks down at her eight segmented legs. It's still bizarre how she's not totally disabled by her new anatomy - whenever the demon was not assisting her, she couldn't slither at all with her former snake tail. She takes it to mean the Fateweaver must be a much more benevolent meeting. "One last thing. While I was under, I met a being called Tha're. She told me if I wanted to learn more about my new patron, I should seek her out after I awoke. Do you know of such a being?"
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Arkhosia wrote: Sep 17, 2022 8:17 pm A Fox Can't be Cut

"Oh yeah, totally!" Anastasia nods, briefly studying Koshal's bicep as if it would further elucidate her understanding, before she realizes that might come off as ogling and immediately stops. "I uh, do a lot of soccer and cheer stuff, but- I mean, the first doesn't involve much upper body strength, that's for sure." She giggles awkwardly. "I guess I'll have to get used to like, actually exercising regularly outside of practice. Gotta make up for lost time."
A Fox Can't be Cut

Koshal probably doesn't even know what ogling is let alone recognizing when someone is doing it to him.
"Yeah, you're definitely going to need to do some actual weight training. You need strength and endurance to do this sort of thing." he leans forward conspiratorially. "And for the record unless you think you're going to learn how to shoot wind cuts out of your sword you may want to also carry a gun. Or at least a balanced knife."
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Emerged

Shanti waves dismissively. "I'm unfamiliar with that name. Though context would suggest it's one of the spider gods attendants. So if you're looking for them I would suggest starting in Seaside as I know they have a presence out there. Though I can't say I know much about them. I would suggest distant research before you engage with any unknown group. However benevolent they might seem."
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Post by Rebonack »

[Very Important Pruning]

It's very important pruning time!

Lapis has many important things to see to on the VIGIL grounds. One of those is, of course, pruning the trees and bushes. Because if she doesn't prune the trees and bushes then they'll get all stickly and misshapen when spring comes! And that would be terrible. Just the worst. Thankfully she doesn't have to chase birds out of VIGIL anymore since Mister Wenomir said that she's done a really good job of bird chasing and so she can stop now! This means she has more extra time for OTHER things, which she's thankful for.

Because she likes being busy!

And she likes being helpful.

As it stands, Lapis is currently walking in a slow circle around a cherry tree, eyeing it from all angles and holding the image of it in her mind. She needs to know where all the branches she needs to prune off are.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Emerged]

"I'll ask Geneva. If they're nowhere to be found, we'll see what can be done." Wenomir isn't sure if giving her swords won't be just encouraging her to throw herself in harm's way again, but ultimately she makes her own choices.

[Prison]

"I've never heard of a 'Super Sonic' but the image is clear enough." By the Riddle, he sure does ramble, though. He lets him answer Mia's question.

[Very Important Pruning]

Not far from where Lapis is examining the tree, Calm Reed is sitting cross-legged on a rock, meditating. Sitting like this, she could be confused with a statue herself, as she seems entirely immobile. Is she even breathing?
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Very Important Pruning]

It isn't hard, holding an image of the tree in her mind. To scrutinize it from every angle, to consider it's every curve.

It isn't hard to hold that perfect image in her mind-
-and then destroy it.

Lapis draws Resolution and a single perfect continuous cutting motion follows. With this motion Lapis has laid low zombies and moblins and worse. With this motion she applies a singular act of will.

With this motion she manifests The Law of Sovereign Blades upon the world.

Lapis DIVIDES

But not division toward dissolution.

Division toward purpose.

Branches fall to the ground around the tree. Branches sick. Branches dead. Branches grown too long. So many branches. And not a single green leaf torn.

Lapis' sword vanishes back into its sheath and she gathers up the branches in her arms to begin toddling off to where all the landscaping waste is composed. Though it isn't long before she stops, stands on her tip toes, cranes her neck to get her nose over the bundle of sticks in her arms, and says, "Hello Miss Reed what are you doing?"
Last edited by Rebonack on Sep 20, 2022 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Emerged
"Research, right," Ophelia confirms. "Considering she replaced my... Missing legs, I rather owe her. If you have any information or books on the Fateweaver and maps of the Seaside, I would be much obliged." Shanti is right that she should research this mysterious being before even thinking about approaching it.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[A Fox Can't be Cut]

Anastasia's eyebrows shoot up, though she nods. "Um, I guess. Like, throwing knives are pretty cool, but - I'm not really hoping it ever comes to that kind of a fight. Besides, guns are...." Ana struggles to find the right word to convey her discomfort, but the way her shoulders squeeze close convey a story all their own.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

[Prison]

"If you want a good image of me, you're SOL - I know for a fact there aren't any high-quality pictures of myself," TARBot says. It's hard to tell if he's joking or not. "But yes, I have about the same survivability with my power source removed as a human might with their heart removed."

"Well, of course you wouldn't have heard of him," TARBot says derisively. "He was a childhood hero, so... yeah, checks out."
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Prison]

I have no idea what SOL means.

As for Sonic, her world doesn't have the same branches. Thought they are a tech oriented world the games barly fokus on fantasy creatures like a blue hedgehog. There are plenty of creatures with a simular skillset and are real.

"That is kinda bad. Do you know how the other power sources can be detected?"
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Recaiden wrote: Sep 16, 2022 3:04 pm [Village]

"Uh, sure it is. Predators kill other animals. Herbivores kill plants. Plants kill each other to get more sunlight. Machines break down. And everything that dies had a spirit, right? People just add rules about when to kill."
"But the end of life isn't the end of everything."

It's not just a cycle, but more of a spiral.
[Village]

"I don't think we come to an agreement with this. After all machines aren't even part of the circle. Each of them needs to be build. They don't reproduce themself, normaly. I think that makes the difference as they have their own circle."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Arkhosia wrote: Sep 20, 2022 7:41 pm
[A Fox Can't be Cut]

Anastasia's eyebrows shoot up, though she nods. "Um, I guess. Like, throwing knives are pretty cool, but - I'm not really hoping it ever comes to that kind of a fight. Besides, guns are...." Ana struggles to find the right word to convey her discomfort, but the way her shoulders squeeze close convey a story all their own.
A Fox Can't be Cut

Koshal and Faye pick up on her expression and move on accordingly. Faye is nearby as always. Being pettable.
"I've got a crossbow myself. Anyway that's something for practical fight stuff and not gonna be your first lesson anyway so don't worry about it."
"You ever thought about armor and stuff?"
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

bc56 wrote: Sep 20, 2022 3:22 pm Emerged
"Research, right," Ophelia confirms. "Considering she replaced my... Missing legs, I rather owe her. If you have any information or books on the Fateweaver and maps of the Seaside, I would be much obliged." Shanti is right that she should research this mysterious being before even thinking about approaching it.
Emerged

"I had maps and books about Seaside about it but alas, it was all taken by KABAL when they raided my temple in Skyside. So I'm afraid you will have to ask VIGIL regarding that. But I'm under the impression that you could easily get such information from a tourist bureau as there is plenty of civilization out there, I can tell you that much." Shanti remarks.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

[A Fox Can't Be Cut]

The girl tilts her head. "Not really - I guess I should if I ever like, actually get into adventuring, or even just contact sparring. I can run away like, really good though. Being a fox makes it easy, and there's always somewhere to slip through in Riverside." Idly, Anastasia does reach out to give Faye a couple pets.
~Welcome to Night Vale
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Village]
Zefir wrote: Sep 22, 2022 2:26 pm "I don't think we come to an agreement with this. After all machines aren't even part of the circle. Each of them needs to be build. They don't reproduce themself, normaly. I think that makes the difference as they have their own circle."
Well, maybe they have to disagree. Sophia nods and straightens up, giving Mia a bit more space.
"You won't help us with machines then?"
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[New Arrivals]

Blanche nods and listens to Tirya speak, respectfully digesting the information given. "Interesting. And how does that... manifest in the field for you? I've heard of Kyne before, so I take it you're more about guarding and defending than spec ops and assassination actions?" A beat. "Sorry if that's too clinical. I'm still a little... erm, unused to clerics and paladins and how they work, honestly. Don't come from a place where faith manifests like that."

As to Tirya's question, Blanche raises an eyebrow and glances towards Cessie. "I would not mind either approach. We can still definitely get any concerns out of the way and test both of you together, whichever you're more comfortable with."
~Welcome to Night Vale
Beans
Less-Fresh Toddler Poster
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Beans »

[New Arrivals]
Vo glances between Tirya and Blanche. "I, uh, I'm okay with going first or going at the same time, whatever works best." She wonders what Tirya's goddess would think of her. Is she undead? She might be undead. What did Tirya mean about how the needs of undead often conflict with those of the living?

She shifts, tensing and relaxing her hands and arms in a nervous fidget. Not the time for these questions. She can ask later, yeah.
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Prison]

"My sincere apologies for my unfamiliarity with your childhood heroes." Wenomir may or may not have a sense of humor, but he does know sarcasm. "If you can help us capture the one who's after you before he can accomplish his goal, that would be one good result of your intrusion."

[Very Important Pruning]

"My name is simply Calm Reed. It is not a family name," the monk says. "I was meditating and aligning myself with Earth essence. And you were... pruning. Quite efficiently, it seems."
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Very Important Pruning]

"Oh," would be Lapis' succinct reply. "Do you mind if I call you Miss Calm Reed then I don't want to be impolite because Mother says being polite is very important."

Lapis doesn't want to be rude!

That would be terrible.

"What's Earth essence? Is that a magic thing? There are lots of people at VIGIL who do magic things."

Lapis has seen them! All sorts of magic things it's fun to learn about what people can do because everyone is so different and wonderful she loves it!

"Yeah! I'm good at pruning! It's my job to make sure that the bushes and plants and things look all neat and pretty I love it it's the best job!" Lapis replies with her ever present enthusiasm.

It would seem Lapis' personality is about as close to opposite as possible when contrasted with Calm Reed.
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

[Prison]

"If I had access to my dimensional powers, I could simply map out the entire world and everything on it, and tell you where they are. Without that, you're probably going to need one of those really cliched energy signature detectors."

TARBot thinks for a moment. Do Mia and Wenomir really deserve what he's about to release on them by suggesting this?

He thinks for another moment. Oh, hell yes they do.

"Alternatively, you could ask TANBot. He's frighteningly good at tracking people down, and as a member of my series he would know my hunter better than anyone else. He's also, despite appearances, a competent fighter. I can dial him right now, with the call I'm supposed to get now I'm in jail. "

What TARBot fails to mention is that TANBot is constantly spouting references, memes and shitposts, the kind which would definitely drive a no-nonsense fellow up the wall. He's also the last guy who beat TARBot in a fight, not counting VIGIL personnel. Turns out, mess with his daughter and he's as strong as any ninja. He's probably going to hurl insults at TARBot the moment they meet, but that is fully worth it to see Wenomir and Mia's reactions to what TANBot consider's funny.

(Oh, and in case you're wondering how TARBot knows TANBot is here for certain but not any of the other robots? He posted it online.)
Last edited by Gold on Sep 26, 2022 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.