PREP Highschool

Locales found within the main city centers; primarily Inside, Riverside, and Skyside.
Rebonack
Empowered Revenant Poster

Re: PREP Highschool

Post by Rebonack »

[Wizarding Practice]

The same magic as Lord Buttface.

Oh!

That reminds Khannie of something important! It's visually obvious, considering the way she perks up, her eyes widening a little bit and ears standing up. "Oh yeah! I was wondering about that. It puts, like, a piece of your soul in things, right? Does that... grow back? Or whatever? Your soul-bits, I mean. I dunno how soul stuff really works that isn't my style of magic. My sorcery has always been about influence and imagination."

And the wizardry she has been learning is about NERD THINGS.

But mostly they're talking about what they're really good at right now.

"So... in order to make one of these helpers you need to really understand who they are and what they're like? And if you can't imagine that sort of personality you can't really make something like that?" Khannie says, more repeating what she was just told to make sure she gets it than anything else. "Hmm... I mean, I guess a knight with a giant shield is an okay way to protect yourself. But if I've learned anything from doing cape-stuff it's that you're gunna take hits no matter what. I guess... maybe I would just feel better knowing that my friend isn't going to get smeared again?"

The image of Arthfael getting squashed under the bus, and everything that came after, is indelibly burned into Khannie's memory.

To deflect from the feelings of worry Khannie then acts TOUGH because that's just how Khannie works. She taps a claw against the knight's shield aggressively. "So I guess that means you had better do a REALLY good job until my dope of a friend can come up with more defensive ideas."

There!

Told 'em!

Or something.

"Well... do you wanna try for a quick spar? Easy rules," she says, pounding one fist into the other paw. "I try to tag you and try to avoid it WITH the help of your shield-maiden. Gotta warn you, though, zoroarks CHEAT."

Tags:
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wizarding Practice]

"Um, well... sort of? They don't really break off in the first place." Arthfael shrugs. "They're more echoes than bits, I guess. Making them can be pretty tough since you sort of have to be loud... I guess would be the right term?"

"Making echoes, being loud, yeah, seems to all check out." The paladin confirms with a nod.

"...So, yeah. Apart from that, you get it." Arthfael nods and gives Khannie a little smile.

At having a ghost-fox try to poke her (the shield itself does a lot to dull the impact), the knightess just laughs. "...Sorry. But, the takeaway is, you don't have to worry about that."

And finally, at the sparring proposition, the two of them give immediate, conflicting answers.

"Sure." "Nah." "Wait, what?"

"You JUST said you're going to protect me!" Arthfael protests.

"No, I said she doesn't have to worry." The paladin counters. "Come on, Art. She hasn't seen you in action like I have." She flashes a smile under her visor and makes a little "go on" gesture with one of her gauntlets. "You two have it out. If you do need my help, I'm right here. But it'll be more effective training if you can counter whatever she throws at you on your own."

Arthfael stares for a moment, before letting out a deep sigh. "...Why do you always have to be right?"

"It's a curse." The paladin shrugs.

"...All right, then." The strigoi turns to Khannie and cracks his knuckles. "Let's, um... let's do this."
Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? Course ya do!

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
And they're aaaaall dead.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Wizarding Practice]

Khannie watches the exchange, befuddled.

One can almost imagine the little question marks dancing above her head.

Arthfael wants to try dodging her attacks...
...by himself?

Without the paladin protecting him?

Well. Maybe saying he WANTS to is too strong of a word. More like the paladin is haranguing him into doing it. At this Khannie looks a bit uncertain. "I mean... okay? I'll pull my punches since I don't wanna clobber you. But if you're really okay with this-"

As soon as the word 'do' is out of Arthfael's mouth Khannie is in motion. She wasn't kidding when she said she's fast, bridging the gap in a span of a breath. Rocketing toward the young vampire, hauling back for a devastating body blow, and then-!

...will pass right through him without touching him? And fades away into wisps of shadow?

Actual Khannie aims to slap Arthfael in the back of the head with a Fakeout.

*bap!*
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[Lunch, Snakelessly]

Micah blushes when Synthia accuses Aikobaz of using their Duel as an engine to kiss him, and even more so when the empress plants one on the robot's lips. Suddenly, he is incredibly grateful for the fact that his hooded cloak obscures most of his face in shadow. He's also very desperately looking for a way to change the subject.

"S-so, u-uh, Aikobas, do you, uh, h-have a Duel Disk? With the-the holograms, well, we m-might be able to show th-uh, Synthia that Duel Monsters isn't boring!"

He has his own Duel Disk on him (it's kept somewhere in his cloak, like most of his stuff) but it'll be much more authentic if they can show her an example of a battle between monsters.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Looks Like Snakes Aren't On The Menu, Boys]

"Of course I have a duel disk. What kind of self-respecting duelist doesn't have a duel disk?" Aikobaz laughs, unconvincingly, before leaning in to mumble to Micah. "What the hell is a duel disk?"

Meanwhile, Gaudia gives Synthia a little nudge, holding up her Pokedex. Apparently, she's had some extra functions installed in it, which she's making use of now, in the form of a digital calendar. While she hasn't said anything, it should be pretty clear to Synthia that she wants to know when a good time to stop by would be.

[Wizardry Practice]

Arthfael's instinctive response to having a punch thrown at him is to try to knock it aside with his arm, in a practiced blocking motion that he manages to execute completely calmly. If Khannie had really just tried to deck him in the face, she would have found her arm pushed past him and her ribs and side exposed, which would make for an obvious target for a follow-up.

So it's too bad that doesn't work.

Arthfael blinks in surprise as Khannie outright disappears, taking about half a second to realize what's going on. Oh, duh! She can make herself intangible! He even saw Peekay run into that earlier! And if she chose to pass through him instead of going for a frontal attack, then she's probably trying to-

The strigoi leaps forward, away from Khannie, pivoting on his foot to turn and confirm his theory. Hopefully without getting hit in the process.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Keeper
Moderately Powerful Moderator

Post by Keeper »

Dragon Disguise Hunting

"Maybe she just thinks she really needs it?" Kol suggests. Everyone seems to be jumping to conclusions without just asking the girl, himself included.
"Can you please just elaborate?" he asks her.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Dragon Disguise Hunting]

Gaudia looks up at Kol and gives a little nod, before turning her attention back to her Pokedex and...

And...

Um.

How... how exactly is she supposed to do that?!

She lets out a tiny sigh and turns back to Khannie, shaking her head. Okay, maybe her fellow Pokemon can help her out. She seems to have a pretty good grasp of what's going on already.

Gaudia sighs and closes her eyes, focusing her thoughts to Khannie. She has no idea what's going on or why the angry demon-dragon-thing is accusing her of being a thief; she's never stolen anything in her life. She just ran when she saw two large, angry dragons coming at her. She might not have Mary's... whatever... but she's not keen to be caught all the same. The stuff she has on her is still valuable and delicate, and even now, ransacking her rucksack strikes her as... unideal.

If Khannie relays her story, there's still going to be a glaring issue with it. Namely, Mary will still be able to sense her collar on Gaudia's person. Unmistakably so. Every move either of them makes just confirms it.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Wizardry Practice]

Oh, cool, he figured out the ruse! Khannie had left a pretty clear tell, after all. She didn't need to let her feint begin to pass through before her attack, she could have made the blow while he was getting ready to block. Not bad!

Should she keep dropping hints?

Or go all in?

Keep things on a mostly... human level?

She really doesn't want to hurt him on accident, still.

Khannie dances forward, matching step for step, with a bob and weave approach, launching two quick probing punches before following up with a big windup-
-and pops out of the floor through Arthfael's shadow aiming to grab him by the foot and throw him off balance. The tricky shadow sneak attack is always an obnoxious one. Dodging an attack from someone's own shadow tends to be pretty hard.

If he can pull a block out of that one Khannie will be pretty impressed!

Hit or miss, Arthfael now has two Khannies circling him on either side, one of which is almost without question real.
Nope, both are illusions. Actual Khannie is stalking around the edge of the fight observing how Arthfael reacts to getting jabbed at by a pair of illusions invested with just enough substance to be able to interact physically.?
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wizardry Practice]

Arthfael continues to attempt to deflect the attacks, the first two barely seeming to even register to him, while the third... well, it's even slower, there's no way he could possibly fail to-

What's that around his ankle?

Arthfael looks down at the shadow clone of Khannie reaching out of his shadow and holding him in place.

"...Crap."

Fortunately, since that Khannie is pretty clearly a fake (she'd have to be, she never went into the floor), that doesn't count as a tag, does it? But it is a huge distraction and impediment.

But, since she's pulling out her extra magic powers, it really strikes Arthfael as only fair he should do the same.

With a twist of his wrist, one of the tiles Khannie's running over suddenly reaches out and grabs ahold of her ankle, forming a stony hand around her and attempting to drag her back.

That should buy him a little time, at least.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by bc56 »

Dragon Disguise Hunting
"But she has it," Mary counters, "I can sense it on her. So if she didn't steal it, then how did she get it and would she please return it to me?"
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

Khannie, of course, relayed all the useful Gaudia shared with the others. She's really helpful like that!

But when Mary INSISTS that her magical uniform artifact thing is on Gaudia's person something clicks in Khannie's head. "...actually maybe she doesn't have it. Did you have any of your partners loose and wandering around earlier, Gaudia? Like, last hour? Ish? If you don't know anything about it I bet one of 'em grabbed the thing for a prank or because they thought the uniform looked nice."

To provide a little clarity, Khannie adds. "Gaudia's a pokemon trainer. But she's got the smart sorta pokemon, not the dumb animal ones. They can talk, just have the wrong mouth-shape for talking languages. If one of 'em snagged your uniform and she scooped 'em up into their ball it would seem like she's got your stuff even if she doesn't know about it."

Strictly speaking pokemon talk isn't a language.

Pokemon just sort of read the intent from animal sounds that have no real syntax to speak of.

Hopefully Khannie's intuition is on the nose here.

[Wizardry Practice]

The shadow sneak was, in fact, Khannie.

She's really good at obscuring what she's doing, planting illusions and baffles and screens to make it unclear how she's moving, what she's doing, and which of the illusions (if any) is real. It doesn't help that Khannie can be just as insubstantial as her phantasms and she can make her shadow-doubles almost as solid as the real thing. To say fighting her is like boxing with shadows would be an understatement.

Then STONE GRAB!

Oh good!

Arthfael is using his enchantments! Great, that'll make this a little more fair.

The stone fist catches Khannie by the ankle, causing her to over-balance and barely manage to catch herself before she face-plants. She glances behind herself at the construct and laughs, "Hah, you're getting way better at those."

Which is another pretty good distraction for another Khannie to blur into visibility in the middle of a tackle, aiming to pounce on the still ankle-grabbed vampire teen. This is...

Umm.

Okay this is actually the real one this time?

Right?
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wizardry Practice]

Arthfael grins. Praise from Khannie? He's been missing that. Especially since he didn't receive too much of it back when they were spending time together. He was just "dork", or some variation on that. So having her admit he was doing well?

Khannie couldn't have asked for a better distraction.

"Than-"

whump!

Arthfael tumbles over onto the ground as Khannie tackles him. He didn't see her coming until it was way too late to do anything about it.

In the back of the room, Peekay visibly tenses, hefting her shield and fiddling with the strap holding it to her elbow. Probably not anything for Khannie to worry about.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Wizardry Practice]

Despite the words being from one of her illusionary doubles Khannie still meant it. Arthfael has been getting WAY better.

Nothing quite like crime-fighting and Witch busting to force someone to really get their act together, huh?

Khannie is only on top of Arthfael for a second or two, just long enough for her to employ the most cheeky of ghost attacks.

"Mmmmmlem!"

The dreaded Lick!

Khannie put absolutely zero life-stealing hunger or baleful malice behind that 'attack', but it was still deathly cold and will probably leave Arthfael's movements sluggish until it wears off in a minute or two. In a display of serene grace the zoroark continues the pounce into a hand-spring before landing deftly nearby, allowing her active phantasms to disperse.

That is, of course, what she was planning on doing.

It's quite possible she gets shoulder-checked off Arthfael by a paladin before any of that transpires.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wizardry Practice]

Arthfael just lays there on the floor, very much stunned. Khannie would definitely be correct to attribute it to the lick, but if she thinks it's strictly due to the effects of the "attack", she's sorely mistaken.

Mostly, Arthfael's trying to figure out Khannie just kissed him. And how he feels about it. That'd be enough to occupy anybody's mind.

Meanwhile, when Khannie lands, she's going to find herself standing directly in the path of a twelve-pound slab of steel thrown by a paladin in her direction.

Peekay herself will be running over to Arthfael and kneeling next to him, putting the back side of her gauntlet to his forehead (in what must be a purely instinctual move; Arthfael wouldn't be running a fever if Khannie somehow managed to make him sick, and she wouldn't be able to feel it through her armor anyway).

"Hey. Hey! Hey, dorkbutt! You okay?"

"Huh? Oh, I... yeah, I'm fine."

"Good." That established, the paladin turns her attention back to Khannie, still crouched in a defensive position.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Wizardry Practice]

It's one of those moments of crystalline clarity.

Khannie had thought 'use some weak attack that won't really hurt Arthfael' and her dumb pokemon brain immediately responded with 'use Lick that's a weak attack'. And so she did. Now as she's springing away and landing it suddenly hits her exactly what she just did. She just licked her friend. On the face. That's weird, right? Animals do that. Foxes lick people they like. It had seemed normal enough at the time. But now that she's actually thinking instead of just acting all of a sudden the weirdness of it is really obvious to her and why did you do that you dumb dope that was-

Then she gets hit by a shield toss.

Her whole upper body just sort of explodes in a cloud of icy fog sprayed with crimson.

Thankfully that doesn't kill her.

Mostly because she's only dubiously alive to begin with.

The mist curls and twists, ghostly tendrils forming and unforming for a few seconds before the whole mass violently snaps back into a Khannie shape. She rubs her chest and grimaces a bit. "Oow."

Not really that major of a hit.

Though, granted, she probably deserved that.

She glances back at Arthfael, that ruddy color seeping into her face. "Umm... did you wanna keep going? Or... uh-"
A vague gesture directed at nothing is made by way of explanation.
"-or is that good for now?"
Last edited by Rebonack on Oct 24, 2022 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wizardry Practice]

"You know what? I think we're done here." The paladin holds out her arm and her shield comes flying back to her, very likely hitting (or at least narrowly missing) Khannie as it zooms back into position.

"What? We've only been at this for-"

"Yeah, I know, I was there." The paladin keeps her gaze on Khannie, and while it's difficult to make out under her visor, her body language makes it quite clear that there's a glare under there.

"...Um... okay." Arthfael sits up, wiping off his face, half expecting to find himself covered in fox spit (assuming her tongue isn't just cold). "...I guess we can just talk, right?"

"Hmph." The paladin crosses her arms and looks away. "...You know, no, I don't think we can. She's a buttface."

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Wizardry Practice]

Okay, THIS time around Khannie is paying a little more attention and leans to the side just enough to avoid the shield and its return sweep. She thought the whole idea here was Arthfael would be dodging and she would be supplying attacks! What was the shield throw thing for? She's pretty sure that would have been a pretty nasty injury if she was human.

And then the paladin says they're done.

Khannie's reaction is pretty similar to Arthfael's.

"What? We just started! He's gotten a million times better it was amazing!" Khannie objects. And THEN the paladin makes her further proclamations. At THAT Khannie looks mad. "I'M the buttface? I was giving my friend love taps-"

A beat when she realizes the word she just used, resulting in a cough as the ruddy color of her face spread.

"-umm... idiomatically speaking. And- and YOU threw that dumb shield at me! That actually hurt you know that? I can take some big hits sure but I'm not a friggin' fluffy punching bag like a chansey," Khannie continues, taking a threatening step forward. "Besides, it isn't up to YOU to decide what me and my friend are doing, you shiny tin-plated prick."
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wizardry Practice]

"No, actually, apt choice of words." Peekay glowers at Khannie, arms folded over her chest as the argument rapidly escalates. "I know you said zoroarks cheat, but that was over the-"

"Peekay, please calm down. I don't want the two of you to start fighting. This is awkward enough already."

"...Hmph." The paladin turns up her nose and looks away. "Fine. Whatever. You and this big, stupid ball of disappointment can do whatever the heck you want. I'm not your mom." She turns and starts toward the door, quite loudly stomping off in those heavy metal boots of hers. She stops just short of the exit, standing in place for a moment just in case Khannie wants to try to get a parting shot in and give her an excuse to turn around and come marching right back.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Wizardry Practice]

When in the history of EVER has telling someone to calm down actually worked?

But yeah! The anger and embarrassment are doing a fun waltz in Khannie's brain, manifesting as a pinprick of malice throbbing inside her head. Ears folded back, JUST this side of preventing an unconscious snarl. And it takes conscious effort to prevent those weird eye things from manifesting. Keep a lid on it, Khannie. Don't let a glorified drawing get a rise out of you. A parting shot would be tempting but that would DEFINITELY make everything worse. Khannie has read enough comics to know how personality conflicts can quickly spiral out of control.

Just.

Breath.

Or... go through the motions of breathing. Even the memory of calming breaths, the physical action of it, they still help.

In and out.

Don't gotta fight, just let it go.

Khannie releases her balled up fists as the knight stops, probably trying to egg her on. But instead of falling for it?

She huffs an exhausted, "Ark..." rubbing the sore spot on her chest where the shield hit her. When she speaks to Arthfael she doesn't meet his gaze, keeping her eyes on the floor. "Sorry... that was a dumb POKEMON BRAIN thing for me do. I was thinking, like, okay what attacks have I got that are basically harmless and don't use my hands. Oh, lick, right? Ugh. I'm such an idiot sometimes."
Earl of Purple
Transcendent Soul Poster
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Earl of Purple »

Snekless Lunch

"My father will come by to pick me up at seventeen hundred and forty hours on Friday. Is this acceptable? I can ask him now if I can take an acquaintance with me." Hopefully Guardia is familiar with the twenty-four hour clock and can work out the time from that.
Avatar provided by Happyturtle. Still using it, after all these years.

Don't run now, my eggs are hatching.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wizardry Practice]

A pokemon brai-

Oh.

...So that didn't... didn't mean anything.

"...I see." Arthfael says finally, pulling himself up to his feet. "That... makes sense, yeah."

Stupid of him to think it was anything else. Khannie's a friend, nothing more. She's been pretty clear about that.

"...Sorry about Peekay." Arthfael adds, shambling toward Khannie and taking a seat near her. "I'm... not sure what got into her. She seemed to like you at first. I don't know why she suddenly snapped like that."

Maybe focusing on how someone else messed up would cheer Khannie up. Or not. Couldn't hurt to try.

Gaudia frowns. There's no way any of her friends could have stolen the collar. And she's still not sure why Mary's so convinced she has it. But, if it'll clear her name...

Six flashes of light accompany the decision as she unclips her pokeballs and empties their contents right there in the hall. Khannie's seen them before, but Mary won't have: a Roserade (who looks a bit grumpy at being disturbed, at least until she sees Mary, at which point she gives her a long-suffering smile), a Pelliper (who seems to be all smiles from the outset, landing next to Gaudia and playfully running her oversized beak against her side), a Rhydon (who quietly flicks something off his horn and gives Mary a belligerent glare), a Gengar (who eyes Mary curiously, in a gesture that would probably be significantly less creepy if he didn't have a perpetual, gigantic grin), a Lopunny (who seems more focused on Gaudia than the others, giving her an annoyed glare and tapping her foot impatiently), and finally, a Ralts (who seems to have absolutely no idea what's going on).

Gaudia spreads her hands, indicating her crew. Mary is free to ask away. Just as long as she's not too aggressive about it.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Wizardry Practice]

Khannie isn't dumb.

Okay, hang on a sec. She's a bit hasty, yeah. She doesn't always make the best choices. But she isn't totally without insight. And watching Arthfael's face she can tell something's up. That's... disappointment? And a hint of resignation. Plus his 'lie' about roach-girl earlier. And asking her uncle if she ever talked about him at home. And the way he responded to the hug and the... lick.

Oh.

Yeah, okay.

Heck.

He likes her. Like... likes her likes her. Likes her even though she's a dumb smelly pokemon. But does she like him back? He's her friend, totally. And he got into the whole super thing probably to try to impress her. But his bad attitude is so annoying sometimes. BUT but he's just trying to... what? Play it cool?

DOES she like him back, though?

Being a ghost-type is weird. It means she always feels so still inside. But when she starts feeling emotional stuff rather than just like... churning guts stuff... THAT lights her up. Or makes her feel like a black hole. Or a raging blizzard. And the realization that Arthfael cares about her...

That lights a little fire for sure. She doesn't feel that idiot teen infatuation toward him that she felt toward Kol, though. This is something else? And she's a bit too inexperienced in life to really identify what the feeling is. Does that mean she LIKES him? She still isn't sure. But she doesn't want him to feel bad, either.

Khannie relaxes her body language a little and smiles. Unlike Arthfael's weird uncle she actually knows how to do this. See, the trick is you don't wrinkle your nose up and you keep the lips covering your front teeth. It looks more like a doofy dog-grin but she figures it gets the point across.

"Hey, don't look glum. Even if that was stupid of me I wouldn't, y'know... I wouldn't mind something like that when we're NOT doing a dumb spar."

She can't really muster up the resolve to blurt out that she likes him too because... she isn't totally sure? Maybe stringing him along is mean but Khannie needs to figure out what all these stupid teen feelings are all about. This is... close enough? Right? Not confirming it but not rejecting him, either. Maybe a real kiss at some point. Not her licking his face or him eating her face.

Anyway!

Khannie pats the chair next to hers at the table her spellbook is still sitting on.

"You totally based PK's personality on me, didn'tcha?" Khannie asks, sounding more amused that irritated. "She's got a lot of my mannerisms and stuff. And I don't think I've ever met anyone else who uses 'buttface' quite like that. Haha. Don't sweat it. Two mes were bound to lock horns over something dumb sooner or later."
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dragon Disguise Hunting
"No, she still has it," Mary confirms, pointing a talon at Gaudia. "You didn't pick up a uniform collar? Like what he's wearing?" she indicates Kol's uniform.
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

"It's a magical gift from her mom," Khannie clarifies. "She can just tell where it is. Magically?"

She has no idea how that works.

Is it like a divination thing? Or is there a speck of Mary in it like one of Arthfael's enchantments?

She's got no idea but she's kind of curious now. If only because she's been studying the way her dad makes magical items and it's a really cool process that requires all sorts of obscenely expensive reagents and components. But if Mary's mom is a queen of hell then no wonder she's got a ton of money laying around for stuff like that.

Royals are all loaded, right?

Also?

She offers a wave to the pile of pokemon.

"Hey guys, sorry we're trying to solve a mystery here," Khannie explains.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Dragon Disguise Hunting

Kol poses to properly show off the PREP school collar.
"So how do you sense it anyway? You sure no one's like...reverse scrying to make it seem somewhere it's not?"
Or maybe they SHRANK it?
He doesn't know how that would work.
Ironsmith
Arisen Zombie Poster

Post by Ironsmith »

[Wizardry Practice]

"What? No, I..." Arthfael starts, but decides to drop the facade before finishing the sentence. "...That obvious, huh?" He supposes it'd be more surprising if Khannie didn't pick up on it. If nothing else, the voice probably would've given her away.

"...If it helps, I didn't really mean to." Arthfael says finally. "I... I mean, I didn't set out to make a copy of you or anything. I just... sort of started trying to put a knight together, someone strong, brave, selfless... and what I got..." He trails off, making a vague gesture toward the open door. "...I, um... I thought you'd want to know that."

What's the alternative? That he created someone to replace her as soon as she wasn't around? There's no version of that which doesn't make him look like a complete creep. Even as things are, he's convinced Peekay is going to end up offending her on another level sooner or later. She wasn't going to be a perfect doppelganger, and should anything unflattering come up, it would be easy to conclude that Arthfael put it there and that he thought of Khannie that way.

Nothing quite like an offensive caricature to demolish an unsteady friendship.

...Or... is it a friendship? She... did kind of just offer to... lick him again. Which... may or may not be pokemon-brain for "kiss". It's not something she does with her other friends, is it? He can't imagine Khannie coming up to Brinika and Cheasadh and greeting them with a fierce barrage of licking-

Actually, wait, no, he can picture that. She's got some canine habits now, she would totally greet Brinika or Cheasadh by licking them.

...Which doesn't explain why she was so embarrassed by it. Unless she's just not used to it, despite being instinct?

Girls. Who can figure them out?

Gaudia shakes her head. No, she never picked up a collar, of any kind, magical or otherwise, like Kol is wearing or otherwise. The Ralts is quick to confirm this, hugging Gaudia's leg and looking up at Mary with wide eyes, shaking his head fervently. Gaudia's no thief, she would never take something that didn't belong to her. Similarly, the Rhydon is quick to intercede himself between Mary and Gaudia, taking an aggressive stance. How dare Mary accuse her of anything so uncouth!

Meanwhile, the Gengar's attention turns to Khannie as soon as she talks, giving her that trademark grin and chortling to himself. "(Hey, look at that! I didn't think there were other Ghost-types here. How're you doing? Fitting in all right around here?)"

"(Casper, please, give the girl some space.)" The Lopunny flicks her ears back haughtily. "(You're going to mess around and scare her off. She's the only one around here with any sense, I'm not going to have you spoil any chance to talk with her.)"

"(All right, all right. Sorry.)"
Last edited by Ironsmith on Oct 25, 2022 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Here's to us!
Who's like us?
Damn few,
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Dragon Disguise Hunting
Mary shrugs with her front shoulders. "It's connected to me. It uses my power to function. So I know where it is, if I concentrate. I don't think I could be tricked..." If a copy of that metaphysical essence of Mary that was used to make the raiment was somehow placed on Gaudia, that would explain it. But that would be very difficult to get, so there must be a different explanation. "If someone did do something to make it seem like she had it, who? And how? Or maybe she picked it up without realizing? Did you find anything strange recently? Clothing, or a piece of jewelry?"
Rebonack

Post by Rebonack »

[Wizardry Practice]

Come on Arthfael they even have the same text color. It's pretty obvious.

Khannie just gives her head a nod, "Zor."

That was probably a yes.

"I'll take all that as a compliment, obviously I'm the coolest, bravest, strongest, most selfless, and probably most humble person you know," she says, looking as haughty as she possibly can muster. That was pretty obviously a joke. "But seriously, that's kinda sweet. I thought... I dunno. Dunno what I thought. Probably wasn't thinking much. So nah, I'm not mad. You said you had to, like, make the personality then it goes from there, right? Who WOULDN'T want a minion that stands up for their friends. It's cool that you thought of me."

Khannie still isn't sure how real of a 'person' the drawings are. They sure SEEM real.

So!

Girls are mysterious. And everyone misreads everyone else. Most of the time. That's one of the problems with not voicing how you're feeling. Or being unsure of how to voice how you're feeling.

"So since I don't wanna get clonked with a shield again you wanna do something else? I've been practicing fire spells and I think I've got the idea. They're kinda garbage compared to some of the other things I can do NORMALLY but this is about learning for the fun of it, not some dumb power trip. Can you do those enchanting tricks with something ephemeral? Like fire? Or has it gotta be something that sticks around?"

Oh no Khannie has ideas.

But that isn't until- that didn't happen yet it's still-

Oh come on, why be such a stickler over something as BORING as linear time? Where's the fun in that? Live a little! Break the spacetime continuum! Do the impossible! Shove some fish in your ear! It's all in good fun.

Okay now Khannie's teeth REALLY itch. Fortuna is absolutely up to SOMETHING but she has no idea what.

Then she leans back when the gengar gets up in her face.

"Uh."

Wait, how could he tell? She's really good at this stuff. Maybe he- Oh. Duh. She can understand them talking. Someone who uses illusions? Who can understand pokemon talk? Who can use human speech while being human? Assuming Casper knows his stuff that shouldn't have been TOO hard to put it all together.

"Uuhh... hello. Ghost pokemon guy. That's a big grin you got," Khannie replies somewhat lamely. It probably seems kind of odd, listening to a girl replying to a bunch of pokemon making pokemon noises at her, but she figures she's playing it off pretty well. She drops her volume a bit and adds a few more syllables that consists of
(zoroark noises).
<Not everyone knows, okay? I got some of the same problems Gaudia does with trainers bugging me. My disguise just isn't garbage.>

As in it is a bit more advanced than 'literally just some baggy clothing'.

<We can chat if you want but, uh, not a great time?>

Given that they are kind of dealing with a crisis right now.

Then?

Khannie gives Gaudia an apologetic look. "Sorry, I think we're gunna have to dig through your pack. Mary is SURE you've got the thing on you. Not saying you stole anything! I believe you, you seem kinda clueless, no offense. But I'm thinking you musta grabbed something without knowing what it was."
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Wizardry Practice

Wow there sure are a lot of fighty noises coming from this part of the hall is someone doing that cool combat wizardry Kol's heard about?
A very large purple dragon pokes his head in and looks around as he lumbers in.
"Khannie? Is that you?" it certainly sounded like her. Kol was trying to practice his SORCERY but so far it's not going well. He can't make stuff move or light up or any of the other basic spells.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

Rebonack wrote: Oct 22, 2022 12:35 pm An oddity of the campus that the newcomer may quickly notice is the regularity with which students collide with each other. They'll be messing with their school work or magical playing cards or talking artifact or chatting with ghosts or any of a pretty wide range of things that distracts them from important tasks like walking without colliding with things. There's a reason for this, of course. The FORCES OF DESTINY are strong here on the PREP campus (it even says so in the school brochure) which means smacking into someone while not paying attention is a great way for allies (or rivals!) to meet.

Khannie, in this case, is hurrying to class and carrying on a conversation with her smart-watch about whether or not she should invest in a pair of good goggles (obviously for eye protection, not for any sort of fashion statement) when she encounters the mysterious cloaked newcomer in the halls.

Encounters, in this case, probably via walking right into them.

Bonk!

The impact, thankfully, doesn't mess with Khannie's definitely real human teen illusion. The shadow illusion is made of the sternest stuff Khannie can muster so it can survive a pretty significant thrashing before it fails. "Oh geeze sorry it's this dumb school," she immediately apologizes, offering an embarrassed smile.
It seems the mysterious newcomer was holding a stack of papers and reading through them, which is why they didn't notice the approaching mostly normal human, and now they've tripped and fallen and the papers are scattered all across the halls thanks to the bonking.

"Ow!" "So-rry."
"What. Do. You. Mean. ?"
they murmur, out of breath as they try to gather their papers back up.

Maybe they should have been paying more attention to the other students being so clumsy. Or to the FORCES OF DESTINY in general.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory