Vigil

Herein lies the various threads in which our characters live out their lives
Morty
Moderately Powerful Moderator
Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Vigil

Post by Morty »

[Training Ground]

"Yes, I do think you should consider a new mission." Wenomir scrutinises TARBot closely. "Will you come peacefully or will we have to drag you?"
Gold
Old Fart Poster
Pronouns: He/him

Post by Gold »

[Training Ground]

"D-do you serio-ously th-th-think my end g-goal is to rob-b-b people? You idiot-t-ts."

"D-drag me if you w-w-w-want to. I don't feel-l-l like gett-tt-tting up." TARBot is trying to save whatever energy he has left, since he can't regenerate it until his dimensional warp comes back online.
TASBot TALBot Solenoid Changer
"You monster!" -Gold Elemental - The Order of the Stick
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

[Training Ground]

"Whatever your endgoal is, it involves robbery." Mia says. She still assumes he kind of has a collect all swords endgoal or something alike.

"We need a cell with an dimensional anchor, do we have one ?"
Gullara
Forum Mommy
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gullara »

[Dragon Storm - An Aside]

Utayo simply looks up at Ambrosia. She'd admit she's somewhat intimidated. She never got a real look at the true size and bulk of Ambrosia's dragon form earlier, even if she could see it from a distance and guess at that. It's quite another thing to be so up close.
~Images by Soushiyo
Shadowcaller
Poster from Beyond the Veil

Post by Shadowcaller »

The dragon's gaze is drawn to the stairs as Thariza gestures at it. "You should have told me earlier and I could have taken you here."

Her eyes then settles on the charr again, though now a touch more gentle. "But since you brought our new companion into this I'm guessing this isn't something you want to be left alone with."
Morty

Post by Morty »

[Training Ground]

"Yes, we can properly question him when he's more coherent and safely behind bars." Wenomir seems to be recovering from his daze. He'll have TARBot cuffed and carried away, unless he resists or tries some other trick.

"Sort of. But also I didn't realize I had to do it until after a while." Thariza looks up at Ambrosia. "I need to digest it, but I think something caught up here with me that I'd escaped in Ascalon. Or that had followed me from there. I'm not the person I was... hadn't been for a while, but now I can stop pretending."
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

[Training Ground]

"H-hm? Oh, y-yes." Some kind of progress bar appears on TARBot's screen, reading 'Reinstalling audio drivers...' When it's done, his speech problem seems to have cleared up. "I don't blame you for finding me hard to listen to whilst my audio was stuttering. Frankly, that was starting to get on my circuits too."

TARBot doesn't resist against the cuffing or carrying. He's run out of tricks, and there isn't much fight left in him.
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

Morty wrote: Aug 20, 2022 10:59 pm [A Fox Can't Be Cut]

"I know, Koshal, but let me enjoy it while I still can." Wenomir smiles, looking and sounding more like the father of a fast-growing teenager than a martial instructor. Then he nods to Obriane. "I certainly hope that's the case. I don't accept students lightly, but so far she seems to have what I look for."
A Fox Can't be Cut

"Well, you've got a year. I'm sure you can make the most of it." Koshal says cheerily, lowering into a proper stance, holding the practice sword ready.
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Village]
Zefir wrote: Aug 19, 2022 6:42 am
► SHOW SPOILER
[Village]

Mia shrugs.

"Not sure, maybe raw materials like an iron bar. It is hard to tell sinc epeople here didn't seem to know the spirits of machines. It does sound like this is trouble for you and maybe your kind? Might explain to me why?"
Sophia nods slowly.
"Having a spirit seems to go along with all the most important qualities of being alive."
"But it's an almost-religious belief to our hive that machines do not have spirits, that they can't be whole because of how they're not alive. Which means they can't be a proper part of something greater."

"If machines do have spirits, and we can reach those spirits, then they need our help, and we might need them also." It would have been a huge waste all this time, and also it might end up with things being even weirder.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Magtok
Pointy Eared Baby Devourer

Post by Magtok »

Career of Evil
► SHOW SPOILER
"The downside to bringing this up to Wenomir and Cessie is they'll obviously want to protect their own team, clear people out of the way ahead of time, and neither of them knows the first thing about being sneaky and underhanded. There's a greater chance the clone will suspect something if we do it that way, and I can't even begin to guess at what drastic action a rogue psychic grandpa might take if he thinks he'd being manipulated and outplayed," Magtok points out, before sighing loudly in defeat. Godsdammit, the stupid cat no the cat nope our wife's kid wrong Blanche has a point. Even worse, it's a pretty good point.

"At the same time, you're right, we do need a coordinated attack against Prime, and I can't just hope that the right people will notice and simultaneously spring into action the moment he starts raising hell. Fine, we'll try it your way," he begrudgingly concedes. He's not about to admit to it, but he's pleasantly surprised by this twist. The only possibilities he considered were a bull-headed, unimaginative refusal to cooperate for proposing a gross violation of protocol, presenting a plan that involved putting others at risk and getting her hands dirty...or weak, servile, reluctant compliance from someone who recognizes his determination and can tell he'd just do this on his own without her. A Vigil member that disapproves of aspects of his morally ambiguous scheme but doesn't immediately demand a stop to it is...refreshing, in a way. Maybe this elf-dating weirdo isn't completely trash.
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster
Pronouns: She/Her/Binch

Post by Arkhosia »

Oh No, They Say He's Got To Go (To Cessie)

"Not an unreasonable concern - subterfuge is neither commander's strong suit. It's an operational blind spot of ours that we're actually trying to take steps towards - we've actually been working with Jezebel to bolster our information networks and establish more of a spec ops capability." Blanche nods, silently acknowledging what Magtok is saying about the need for discretion and potentially genuine surprise.

Blanche smiles slightly. "Alright, I'll give them a call in a couple hours once they're up, try and force them to listen to you asap today. Hopefully we can convince them to let you take point on this, at least for staging a jailbreak. You said it yourself - there's no telling what'll happen if the target thinks we're playing him. I imagine you'll know how to handle duping one of your own much better than us, and you've always been good at it anyways."

While she's not going to verbally admit it either, it's easy to note the relief in Blanche's posture when the cyborg accepts her suggestion. He might even realize why - Caelynn mentioned she was promoted recently, so she's feeling a degree of expectation and scrutiny right now. Betraying the commanders' trust immediately after it would be quite the career choice.
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

bc56 wrote: Aug 20, 2022 3:45 pm Submerged
"I'll kill you! I'll kill you all! All demons must die!" Ophelia struggles against the web in an attempt to reach her weapons, but only succeeds in tearing her arms free, leaving her hanging upside down by her feet. Her head splashes into the water and she struggles to raise it, coughing up water each time she manages to pull herself up for a breath.
Submerged

((Will post here late or edit this space.))

[A Fox Can't Be Cut]

"How many students do you have right now? Are they close to Ana's age perhaps?" Obriane inquires as her eyes are drawn to Koshal. Was he one of them? She would assume as much. Though considering his size she hoped that Ana wouldn't have to overwork herself to get to the level Wenomir expected of his students. Not that she doubted Ana could do that of course.

"Yet the person you were lingers here since this is where she died." The dragon remarks as she motions her head towards the same staircase that Thariza pointed out earlier. "Would you like to meet her, your ghost? Since that's part of the reason that you came here, wasn't it?"
Morty

Post by Morty »

[A Fox Can't Be Cut]

"Aside from Koshal here, I have three other regular students," Wenomir says as he prepares for a bout. "Two of them are older than Koshal or Anastasia, but one is younger."

"Not literally, but... yeah, I guess in a way," Thariza admits. "Maybe it'd be good to actually see what I left behind here."
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

"I must admit." Utayo interjects. "I'm not sure if it's appropriate for me to be present during this." It was one thing to provide company during some challenging introspection. This, though, sounds far more personal and outward, and she admittedly doesn't feel comfortable.
~Images by Soushiyo
Keeper

Post by Keeper »

A Fox Can't Be Cut

"Hm...if I had to guess...I would say that she and I are the same age." Koshal suggests. He's gotten better at identifying human ages after spending so much time with them.
Obriane might not have been expecting this given that Koshal is currently the size of an adult human, just starting to go past that as he gains his full adult minotaur height and width.
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Submerged

There is laughter all around her. As if she was suddenly before a great crowd of people. All mocking and jeering.
Perhaps you should join a circus instead she(?) thinks.
Just look what a freak you've become.

As she struggles to keep her head above the surface she starts to see tiny reflections of herself in the water all around her. Despite struggling for her life they seem to pierce her mind and even with her eyes closed she can see that images of a serpentine demon calling herself a 'demon hunter'.

You lie to others, you lie to yourself. But you cannot lie to us. We see you for what you truly are. These voices are a bit different. They're still hers but they're somehow more distinct.

Something enormous then emerges from below and its jaws closes around her.
It takes a moment to realize that this one happened in her head as she's still struggling.

A snack.

The dragon glances at Utoya for a moment before her gaze returns to Thariza. Seemingly waiting for her to give her opinion.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Submerged
The rush of adrenaline is exactly what Ophelia needs to pull herself up from the water and grab onto her swords. "I will find you, and I will destroy you, speaker of lies!" The silver blades glow and grow warm in the presence of demons. We'll see who's lying in a moment.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

► SHOW SPOILER
[A Fox Can't Be Cut]

"Mom, please, we don't wanna interrupt them," Anastasia remarks somewhat quietly, clearly embarrassed by the very parently questions and comments. They've surely been a bother enough right now!
"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
~Welcome to Night Vale
SliiArhem wrote:Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Recaiden wrote: Aug 23, 2022 3:02 am [Village]

Sophia nods slowly.
"Having a spirit seems to go along with all the most important qualities of being alive."
"But it's an almost-religious belief to our hive that machines do not have spirits, that they can't be whole because of how they're not alive. Which means they can't be a proper part of something greater."

"If machines do have spirits, and we can reach those spirits, then they need our help, and we might need them also." It would have been a huge waste all this time, and also it might end up with things being even weirder.
"I see. But what kind of help do you think they need? It is more complicated then say they are like the souls of people. They have the same worth but rather then be free they want to be used in the way they were designed. Only a low percentage can act freely if they were build for that."

Mia replies staying calm. She seems to have some issues getting the right words.

[Training Ground]

Mia will just tell them again to hurry, but as they do she prepares another spell one that will protect her sword from beeing stolen.
Morty

Post by Morty »

"You can wait outside, if you'd rather." Thariza has enough of a presence of mind to realize Utayo feels uncomfortable. "This shouldn't take long, hopefully."

[Training Ground]

TARBot will be placed in one of Vigil's holding cells, one prepared to stop anyone from teleporting out. Wenomir isn't sure what they'll do with the intruder, but for now they need to put him somewhere he won't make trouble.
Gullara
Forum Mommy

Post by Gullara »

Utayo nods to the two. "I will wait nearby. I won't be far when you need to find me." And with that she traces back the direction they came from in the first place.
~Images by Soushiyo
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Village]
Zefir wrote: Aug 28, 2022 11:17 pm "I see. But what kind of help do you think they need? It is more complicated then say they are like the souls of people. They have the same worth but rather then be free they want to be used in the way they were designed. Only a low percentage can act freely if they were build for that."

Mia replies staying calm. She seems to have some issues getting the right words.
Sophia also seems unsure how to say what she means.
"Each machine wants to fulfill its purpose then. But people invent better machines over time, right? Each toaster, for example, could be upgraded into a better toaster."
"Even humans mostly get into trouble when they try to act freely, so that's not a problem. I don't need to set all the machines free or anything. But we could make them better. Blend the line between mechanical and natural for them."
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory
Magtok
Pointy Eared Baby Devourer

Post by Magtok »

All Our Times Have Come
Arkhosia wrote: "Alright, I'll give them a call in a couple hours once they're up, try and force them to listen to you asap today."
Our cyborg immediately regrets his decisions leading up to this the moment the word 'hours' passes Blanche's lips. Stupid bureaucracy, stupid mortals incapable of being in multiple places at once. Why can't everything and everyone be exactly where and when he needs them to be at all times? You don't see Magtok ever keeping people waiting for hours or days on end, he's always there and posting taking action as soon as someone reaches out to him. What the hell do the commanders of Vigil have that's so important, anyway? Eating? Sword practice? Childcare? Sleeping? Shouldn't there be an alarm somewhere to make them come running in a panic, scrambling to find out why Lord Magtok is walking on their territory?

"It's really going to be that long? Should I just take off and wait for you to call me back, then?" he says with a sigh, peering at the spot on his wrist where his red eye projects a watch that no one else can see. What a waste of an afternoon; we had this whole day set up in our head, full of action and chaos and strife. If Mag knew playing things the 'smart' way meant not immediately rushing in like a blind idiot, he never would've agreed to any of this.
"You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
-Daniel H. Wilson
Shadowcaller

Post by Shadowcaller »

Ambrosia watches Utayo go and once she disappears out of sight she turns back to Thariza. "Let's begin. Prepare yourself."

Then the dragon turns to the stairs and raises her wings and then her whole body to her full length while holding out a claw fully outstretched. Then, born out of her palm is a brilliant golden light is resplendent orb which emerges from the dragons palm. This light then spreads outwards until it quickly has enveloped her entire form.

Then Ambrosia projects a word into her mind that Thariza can't recognize and all of sudden she sees herself on those stairs. Fighting an invisible enemy like she did that awful day. Her final day. She can see her own gaze being drawn to Ambrosia and she let's out a terrified cry. Since this is the Thariza that still believes all dragons are engines of destruction. The one that never learned of another way to look at them.

The one that never got the chance to.

[A Fox Can't Be Cut]

Obriane looks to Koshal and then to Ana as he claims they're the same age.

Well, lesson learned. She shouldn't have expected any of Wenomir's students to be ordinary.
"They haven't really started yet, Ana. Just taking the opportunity before they get engaged." She claims but will then fall silent. Since she certainly didn't want to interrupt them now.

[Submerged]

As she swings herself up into the web the swords do indeed start to glow.
But she needs to get her footing as standing on the web will be a balancing act. Their stickiness make her able to stand on them but for the same reason it's difficult to actually walk on them. In addition, the strings off the web are sometimes so far away from one another that she would have to essentially jump in between them.

Not that there would be any reason to as there are still no foes around her. But the voices in her head sound enthusiastic about this development.

Excellent! Then, believer in lies, you have searched and now you shall find.

And then Ophelia will suddenly start throwing up as something starts to force its way out of her stomach.

This is strangely not as unpleasant as it sounds despite what 's emerging out of her mouth is as large, if not larger, than her.
Since it is her.
Or rather, it is her if she had been a snake demon and suddenly she's in two places at once. Both a demon and not-a-demon. Each body desperately clinging onto the web they've been forced onto.
Arkhosia
Reborn Elder Poster

Post by Arkhosia »

After Dark

Blanche gives him a flat look. "Dad, it's 4 am. You're lucky I was even awake right now." And indeed, Magtok's projected watch reads just that. 4:19 AM, to be specific. "Wenomir gets up pretty early, so you might not have to wait long, but I feel like we'll have a better chance if Cessie's involved. You're welcome to stay if you'd like, though." Which does beg the question, why the hell was Blanche up at 4 am in the morning in the first place? Those aren't light bags under her eyes, are they?
~Welcome to Night Vale
Gold
Old Fart Poster

Post by Gold »

[Training Ground]

TARBot will sit inside the holding cell. He won't move until the Vigil people start talking to him, seemingly having gone into sleep mode for the tine being. He does, however, silently check if they ever took the Pokeball off him, or if he still has it.
Morty

Post by Morty »

"I guess I would have been scared witless of a dragon back then." Thariza is oddly calm. Like she passed through fear to the other side. "I hadn't met you yet. A dragon meant trouble. I had to befriend you first, before I realized I was wrong. And... I don't know, it doesn't look like the other me is actually fighting to win, does she? I thought I was at the time, but..."

[A Fox Can't Be Cut]

Wenomir begins the bout and attacks. Since Koshal has been his student for a long time, he doesn't hold back much. He assails him with rapid, scything cuts of the greatsword, seeking to use the long reach to overpower him. He moves in a blur, expecting Koshal to keep up. Anastasia might notice that it's far more graceful than is typically associated with a greatsword. It's a quick and brutal weapon in Wenomir's hands. Sometimes he will close the distance and make thrusts or close-range cuts while gripping the sword by the blade above the hilt.
bc56

Post by bc56 »

Submerged

Stars, what is that? Ophelia vomits herself out onto the web, looking very sick.
"There you are," She steadies herself and readies her blades into an aggressive stance.
Ophidia, on the other hand, needs no weapons to be deadly. But if the webbing is awkward footing for Ophelia, it would be absolutely awful for Ophidia, who has a tail instead of legs.
And Ophelia isn't going to give her dark mirror image time to find her balance. She rushes the serpent, swords flashing, her own balance failing. She's more likely to knock both of them off balance than do any real damage with this reckless maneuver.
Avatar by me! No more outsourcing!
Zefir
Coffin-Bound Aged Poster

Post by Zefir »

Gold wrote: Aug 30, 2022 9:41 pm [Training Ground]

TARBot will sit inside the holding cell. He won't move until the Vigil people start talking to him, seemingly having gone into sleep mode for the tine being. He does, however, silently check if they ever took the Pokeball off him, or if he still has it.
[Training Ground - Cell prepare room]

I'm sure they took the ball away from him as they can clearly connect it to the monster he summond. Thought is the monster in the ball or free? If its inside the ball will be sealed as you can expect.

Mia will be in another room first with Wenomir to talk about whats next.
"I am not sure what to do now. I don't have any enemies in the nexus and he seemed to be just intressed in the weapon not myself."
Recaiden wrote: Aug 30, 2022 3:58 am [Village]

Sophia also seems unsure how to say what she means.
"Each machine wants to fulfill its purpose then. But people invent better machines over time, right? Each toaster, for example, could be upgraded into a better toaster."
"Even humans mostly get into trouble when they try to act freely, so that's not a problem. I don't need to set all the machines free or anything. But we could make them better. Blend the line between mechanical and natural for them."
[Village]

"I don't think thats working. As i told you my homeworld is a clash between nature and machnies. We don't wanna fight nature, but also we don't want to make them our best friends either.Well beyond the nessesary parts."
Recaiden
Old Fart Poster

Post by Recaiden »

[Village]

"I know it might not be what your world wants to do."
"But that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it here. If machines have spirits, those spirits should be developed to their utmost potential and brought to serve the greater good, just like natural spirits are."

This part, Sophia says quite confidently.
~Inner Circle~
Character Directory